Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: L134 Coolant in Oil/Exhaust

186470789_216347300076467_7903682453831289730_n.jpg

As mentioned, I do have the carb that the previous owner removed, and it is a Carter W-0. It appears to be a 636S-S or 636S-SA.
    Last edited by teamxdr; 05-24-2021 at 06:33 PM.

All set that's the right carb he left you. Rebuild that original for sure.

In the long term, that is a better carburetor for the Jeep.

Sounds good. I'll probably keep the Solex on there for now, as it seemed to run smoothly. Once I finish up the other drivability projects or if it causes issues I'll move onto the rebuild. First coolant pressure tester with ~30 adapters did not have the correct size, so have a second kit being delivered today. If that does not work, I may just tear into it this weekend or build a homemade adapter.

"Sounds good. I'll probably keep the Solex on there for now, as it seemed to run smoothly."

Yeah, chase the worst problems first ...

"First coolant pressure tester with ~30 adapters did not have the correct size .. "

Probably 29 were some weird metric size.

Well got the second pressure test kit in, with a fitting cap. Then snapped off the overflow tube that was jb welded, so had to solder that back on. Pressure tested up to ~7.5 PSIG, and have confirmed the leak into cylinder 3. Its not a real fast leak, but can audibly hear it and see fluid in the combustion chamber. Sprayed WD-40 in there for now and will pull the head this weekend. Didn't want to turn it over to push it out, as I know the pan is already overfull, and risk hydrolocking it.

For anyone in the future wanting to pressure test, I found this kit to have the correct size cap, just have to plug off the overflow line. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078G28GGM

Thanks for the information - I hope I never need one, and I hope you don't need it again.

Oh, by the way, is that a fuel pressure regulator tied into the fuel line to the Solex? With a new fuel pump, many Carter WO and YF want a pressure regulator to keep pressure down to about 1.5 PSI. Mine hides down behind the oil fill tube.....

That does appear to be a fuel pressure regulator. Looks like it has the stock mechanical fuel pump with glass bowl and a new fuel tank under the seat. Haven't go through the engine bay with a fine tooth comb yet though.

Now I do feel old. My pressure checker is a vintage NAPA. It only has two cap style adapters period. When it was purchased that's all there was. It fit everything. My son needed to use it a long while back on a "newer" vehicle. He had to buy a new pressure checker and there must be 25 different adapters. The vintage fit nothing. Just my "Vintage" vehicles. I think we went backwards on compatibility of tools.

There are three different pressures the 134's with AC pumps run on.Though a lot of pumps could be on your 134, it was originally set up to run with one of these three. In the CJ2A it is using the AC 153886. It should be internally regulated or use a spacer, at 4.5 psi max.. The CJ3A uses AC 1539353. It should be internally set or use a spacer, for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 psi max. The rest through CJ6 use AC 5594032. It should be internally set or use a spacer, for 2 1/2 to 3 3/4 psi max. The WO Carter can take 4.5 psi if you have the right float, needle and seat in the carburetor that matches the pump pressure requirements. There are a few different float, needle and seat assemblies out there. If you are needing a regulator because the pump is putting out too much pressure and you have the right spacer float, needle and seat, or if you don't, you have two choices. Send the pump back or install a regulator in the line after the filter. Now the Solex... I don't know what pressure it would work best with.

I have this pump from KW https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-fue...h-4-134-engine. It runs right at 4.5 psi. too much for an original 3A, but I have the early 2A needle valve and seat assembly. I do not use an external regulator.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-26-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Now I do feel old. My pressure checker is a vintage NAPA. It only has two cap style adapters period. When it was purchased that's all there was. It fit everything. My son needed to use it a long while back on a "newer" vehicle. He had to buy a new pressure checker and there must be 25 different adapters. The vintage fit nothing. Just my "Vintage" vehicles. I think we went backwards on compatibility of tools.

There are three different pressures the 134's with AC pumps run on.Though a lot of pumps could be on your 134, it was originally set up to run with one of these three. In the CJ2A it is using the AC 153886. It should be internally regulated or use a spacer, at 4.5 psi max.. The CJ3A uses AC 1539353. It should be internally set or use a spacer, for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 psi max. The rest through CJ6 use AC 5594032. It should be internally set or use a spacer, for 2 1/2 to 3 3/4 psi max. The WO Carter can take 4.5 psi if you have the right float, needle and seat in the carburetor that matches the pump pressure requirements. There are a few different float, needle and seat assemblies out there. If you are needing a regulator because the pump is putting out too much pressure and you have the right spacer float, needle and seat, or if you don't, you have two choices. Send the pump back or install a regulator in the line after the filter. Now the Solex... I don't know what pressure it would work best with.

I have this pump from KW https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-fue...h-4-134-engine. It runs right at 4.5 psi. too much for an original 3A, but I have the early 2A needle valve and seat assembly. I do not use an external regulator.
    Yeah on the test kit, seems everyone has to make their proprietary setup now days.

Is the AC number easy to spot on the fuel pump? Or another way to identify? From a general search, the 153886 has a metal bowl. Mine with the glass bowl more so matches 119238-R.
    Last edited by teamxdr; 05-26-2021 at 08:55 AM.