Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tornado 230 OHC she's milky pls help diagnosing

I used Amsoil in my 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton. I worked with a guy who was a part time dealer, and he offered me a free oil change to try plus sponsorship for the derby cars. At 6,000 miles I sent in an oil sample for analysis, and it came back clean. The truck had 189,000 miles on it when traded in, with no engine or transmission work ever needed. Good stuff in my opinion.

I am still reveling (that's a 25-cent word for happy as a pig in slop) in the new thermostat for Ham's '48. We went out for a show and tell last week on an 88-degree afternoon and the needle eased up to 160 and as we cruised it would slowly ease up to about 175, then come back down to 165 or so as the 'stat did its thing. It DID NOT run up to 211 and then come back down. No stress anymore - either on the engine or the driver!!!

I'm almost getting complacent about watching the Temp gauge...

Just stab it and steer Larry! Full speed ahead.

I'm worried about this being a rabbit hole. You guys are usually the careful ones, and I'm usually like heck with it just run her dry.. but this case I'm torn and am doing the right thing. while it seems extreme yanking apart the engine, trust this guy completely so I'm going along with it. I think the oil leaks are finally solved. That would be amazing.. The clutch is fixed at the slave cylinder. Easy fix. and the master cylinder got warranteed again, so brakes work not soft. Anyway it's operational. but in the process find the milky oil. I'm thinking he found something. He is very good. I am worried what it is. A crack? Yuck. I'm certain that I could build his thing better and better. So if this is just hot rodding it a little at a time I'm against it. All I want is good enough.. so...it'll be weeks, not days.

So I'm saying, yes,I will have a decision to make if its not the gasket.

And normally I'd chunk some soup in it to hold it tight.

But what if I blow the engine?

Anway, first thing is in a week or two is testing the gasket.
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 06-07-2021 at 10:42 PM.

If it is a head gasket Az it must be fixed or eventually, even with stop leak measures, it will stop running. If it is pumping water into the crankcase it will quickly ruin the bearings and potentially destroy a lot more. If it comes back diagnosis head gasket, it is time to at least change the head gasket. Depending on the miles and how much water is in the oil, will dictate whether or not a full rebuild is in order. A crack in the head can be detected at the rebuild of the head when it comes off. A crack in the block can be more difficult with the engine block in the vehicle, depending on where it might be and how small or detectable it is.

Cracks are usually a result of a freeze up in cold climates, or a severe overheating event. There are many other things of course but yours has been running well for a while. I would not expect a crack.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-08-2021 at 08:15 AM.

"...And normally I'd chunk some soup in it to hold it tight....""

Resist that temptation. It is a temporary fix at best and in the long run adding "soup" gunks things up so badly you end up fixing several issues once you have to address them.

No matter what racing or car legend put their face on a can, don't go with the soup.

On the sad side. My guy tells me today mine is down to one fatal crack in the block before the scrap heap. Praying it's a problem in the head that can be mochined away. It's not a gasket. It is worse than condensate on the dipstick. Whole thing is in open heart surgery. The one machinist in town who knows the engine promised to show up today and never made it. Tomorrow, we are sure, he will be there to save the day. Yeegadszukes brothers! On the good side, it's the bigger version of the engine, so when it works again, I can use more pedal. Which will be good.

So the winning prediction was this one:

"The 230ohv likes to crack under the cam towers in the head, real commom, It can be repaired by making a metal gasket onder the cam towers".

So we hunt for more problems and if none we fix and button up and I'm back in business baby!

Back in business if it means the following:

Worst case I'm out some cash AND no running Kaiser-Willy’sJeep Truck. Back to square one.

Best case I've got a running truck, a 3spd on the floor with a built in emergency brake, and a complete motor on a pallet waiting for the coolest Tornado rebuild ever.

Put it this away: supposedly a pallet could arrive with a bunch of stuff on it that may or may not be "operational".

Can wait to write this one up. More as it happens.