Thread: 4x4 Shifter Issue.

4x4 Shifter Issue.

Okay all, now that I fixed my intermittent power issue that made my 55 wagon basically undrivable, my next question is about the 4x4 transfer case levers. As the photo shows, the previous owner tied these together with some tape and a hose clamp. He stated that sometimes it would kick itself into neutral and you would have no power to the wheels. However, for normal driving, one lever is forward (disconnected front axle) and the other is rearward (transfer case high gear) as such, I don't see how linking them together helps anything. Unless they are drifting apart, I guess, but as currently set, they are hard to manipulate.
    So, do I dare take them apart? Is this a common issue? If so, is there a solution, preferably not involving hose clamps?

Cheers

VTWilly
    Attached Images Attached Images

VT it sounds to me as the spring, pin, and balls are missing from your shift rails in the transfer case that are designed to hold the levers in place.
    Typically these Heeps go into neutral from the T90’s being wore out.
    That’s a pretty good size undertaking to check that, you’ll have to pull the transfer case out to check if they were installed.
    You may want to see if the 2 springs are installed on the levers first.
    Pull the clamp and tape off then the rubber boot to see if the levers have the spring clips on them, typically they are designed to keep the levers from rattling together.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/anti-ra...-transfer-case

If the 2 transfer case levers move freely in and out of high,low, 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive it is more than likely my first conclusion with the spring, pin and balls on the transfer case shift rails.
    I’ll try and post the diagram of where they are located.

AD77A023-DD3A-4FAC-84D5-F6D60ABC6B36.jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 05-31-2021 at 05:42 AM.

It is very common for the shift ball detent springs inside the transfer case to break from age. When they do the detent balls are unable to hold the shift rails in position. If the transfer case has not been taken apart I would suspect broken shift detent springs. I think you need to pull that unit down as TJ has referenced, and bring it back into shape. When you move the shift levers into position, you should feel distinct clicks when the balls enage and hold the gear lever in position. If you feel nothing when shifting I think the shift mechanisms (Springs,Rails, balls etc) are the culprit. If however it is spitting it out of gear under power, the shift collar and gears are probably worn out.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-31-2021 at 07:43 AM.

The detent balls can fall to case bottom in some boxes, not sure if this applies to yours, but I confirmed once by finding the ball from the oil hole. Whenever I finally bit the bullet and paid to rebuild and repair it would stay in gear.

Well I haven't had the time to investigate anything yet, however the previous owner kept very good records of all repairs and maintenance done to the truck. In 2015 he did the "Minor Transmission Overhaul kit" for the T90 and the "Minor Overhaul Repair kit" for the D18 (both from KW, T90BSG and D18BSG respectively) and told me he was informed that the insides of both transmissions were "pristine", of course I only have his word for it. The issue isn't a major one, just one of the minor things that I want to tidy up about the vehicle before making it my every day truck.

Cheers
    VT

VT if it wont "click" and stay in gear I suspect an assembly problem.

Well, not to revive a dead thread, (but I'm gonna do it anyway)
    Finally got some time to poke around and see what was up, as mentioned, the spring clips are missing from the shift levers, while I still suspect the pin/detent issue.
    I do have plans to bring the Jeep to a dedicated transmission shop to have them look at what is possibly a syncro issue in the T90 and will have them give the transfer case a look as well.

And, because I was bored.... and for posterity sake... Pictures!

VTWilly
    Attached Images Attached Images

VT from the picture it looks like you have a overdrive installed (shifter wise) as well, it may be something as simple as the linkage for the OD may need tweaked a little to get it fully engaged or disengaged.
    There is a sweet spot between in and out that puts everything in a neutral position.
    Just a thought b4 you tear it completely apart.
    Last edited by TJones; 02-05-2022 at 06:23 AM.