Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot mess, a 1967 CJ-5 restoration

Those wont seal, return them. It looks like someone took pliers to them.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-19-2021 at 05:00 PM.

I didn’t know they make a tool for u-joints. For years my usual method involved a hammer and a fat punch or socket and extension. If I had access to a good jack I would use it and the vehicle I was working on as a press.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 10-19-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Replacement u-joints ordered!

I put down a refundable deposit of $150 at my local O'Reilly's. It is nothing more than a C-clamp on steroids. A large end to let the cap pass though and the threaded rod to push on the opposite cap. So much easier than the vice and socket routine, plus lots of YouTube videos showing how to use the tool.

20211019_194513.jpg

You guy's! And here is the retired Spicer guy telling you, common boys get a cheap China Freight press for your shop!

One thing to watch for especially on front fragile half shafts, if the caps are frozen in tight, make sure you fab up something to prevent the yoke ears from getting bent together when you press the caps out. Put something between the ears to support them. A common complaint is I cant get the new U-Joint back in correctly after I pressed the old one out. If they are really stuck, help them out with a little heat, penetrate and some support between the yoke ears. If you bend the yoke ears the shaft is junk.

You have valid points Bob. I don't have a shop or a press (yet). I have to use the resources available to me and be smart with their use. The good news is that the replacement u-joints looked much better and I was able to easily get the left axle done. I don't have the right side removed yet.

Attachment 8819

I understand your position David! I have replaced MANY U-Joints in a vice with sockets. In fact the technique can be hard to beat if the caps aren't frozen in. I still use that method every now and then, even though there is a press sitting right there!

Well, Winter is over and I'm back to working on the CJ again without my hands going numb in fifteen minutes. I have everything striped and clean on the front axle and am ready to order all new seals, bearings, brake hoses, master cyl. and wheel cylinders. And lets not forget about the t-case drive and driven gears.

I called to ask Mike (at KW.com) a question about the driven gear, only to find out that the gear kit is on an infinite back order. So I did a little research and found that the matched mate to my drive gear (SW447537) is SW448856. I am curious if anyone on this site might have one kicking around and would like to sell it to me!?

I am also curious to see if anyone on the forum has any tips or tricks to installing the inner axle seals. Do I really need a special seal driver or does a "x" sized socket work perfect.

Hopefully, I won't find any more backordered items tomorrow when I hit the ORDER button

An X sized socket will work. You can make your own tool with 2 sockets and/or washers and a piece of all-thread and two nuts. You need to be sure the seals push in square.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-26-2022 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks Bob. Clever, efficient and inexpensive.

FYI, the front axle u-joints went together nicely last year. Thanks for your insight on that too.
    Last edited by davide; 05-26-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Your welcome davide! It sounds like you are making good progress. I cant wait to see it on the road.