Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot mess, a 1967 CJ-5 restoration

TJones, if you have a better recommendation for the oil port, I am all ears. I looked through your album to see where it could be, but realized quickly that you have a few extra goodies hanging on the motor (and everywhere else). I enjoyed looking at all you have done.

image1.jpg

You can see that I do have the idiot lamp in the main cluster and the gauge up top. There appears to be some redundancy with the temp and fuel gauges. Both of these exist in the main cluster as well as up top. The missing gauge up top on the right is for the fuel.
    I have looked through the Universal Manual at the different dash configurations and nothing matches what I have. So I am uncertain if the four gauges up top are add-ons.
    Last edited by davide; 03-23-2023 at 10:44 PM.

The only gauge your Jeep originally came with, was the large circular Speedometer gauge cluster. All the lights and gauges are in that cluster. The other gauges on your dash appear to be from various vehicles. The "Tee" you found is in the original tap for the oil pressure. Someone added the tee to accommodate the added gauge. gmwillys will clarify if he gets a chance.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-24-2023 at 06:05 AM.

The '48 truck has an electric gauge and the sensor has failed twice. PITA.

There I was on the way to Jeep Fest and I did a gauge scan and saw I had no oil pressure. Talk about a thrill. BUT - the engine wasn't making any strange noises - so I pulled over and sat for a bit and the gauge wavered and wandered around a bit, then settled down at 30 PSI.

Then it promptly went back to zero.

I decided that I had a sensor problem, not an oil pressure problem and I went on my way to Toledo.

You have an opportunity for a redundant installation. Find one oil gallery plug and put in an idiot light sensor and another plug to pull in a line for a mechanical gauge. The mechanical gauge tells you exactly what is happening and the idiot light acts like a Master Warning light in an airplane.

Of course you need to figure out what to put in the other gauge opening …

I have always liked having a volt meter and an ammeter when possible.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I don't even like to get a rental car without gauges.

Thanks guys for the replies. It all makes sense what you have said and does line up with illustrations from the Universal Manual. I have bigger fish to fry now and will have to get to all the electrical and added gauges after I get the motor finished and running. Earlier this week I did visit my buddy at the Napa store down the road. He got me hooked up with some GL4 and other things I wanted to replace in the motor. It was a nice visit and I treated him to lunch.

Today I hope to remove the male brass fitting in the block and clean more in that area. I did look for more ports on the block but didn't see any off hand, I'll keep looking. From what you guys say, they are there. The idea of keeping the switch in its original location and having a separate port for the gauge line is good. I will try to make that happen. Once this is complete, I should be able to spin the motor and check the pressure.

Not sure what all might have changed on the dash from 1961 to 19667, but my 61 CJ5 only has two additional gauges besides the speedometer, an oil pressure gauge and an ammeter gauge. I'm sure both of these were installed at the factory since nothing has changed on this Jeep since then. Both are located right next to each other on the lowest, left hand (drivers side) section of the dash panel. The oil pressure gauge is original and still working. The ammeter is a replacement that I remember my dad replacing sometime back in the late 70s. There are no gauges on the upper center dash location like you show in your photo, Davide, so I would have to guess that they were all add-ons.

Davide I did look at my oil pressure line and it comes from the passenger side up front right behind the timing cover like yours. I did call Chris at Pro Car that built the motor and he did say he had it on the back of the motor on the top rear in a cam journal but decided to put it back up front bc he put a high volume pump on the motor and changed the springs in it. My motor has 90 lbs of oil pressure when you start it up and he wanted to keep an eye on it closer to the pump bc he was afraid that with that much oil pressure if I didn't let it warm up before throttling it up it could start blowing seals and gaskets out.
    Here is a picture of where mine is now and Yours.

1.jpgIMG_2223.jpg

It looks like your dash has a temp gauge, amp/volt gauge, and a oil pressure gauge added up top and possibly an empty hole for a once added fuel gauge. Maybe nothing in the speedo cluster works, I think Larrbeard found a guy to rebuild the gauges fairly reasonable and does good work if that be the case.
    Last edited by TJones; 03-25-2023 at 06:15 AM.

TJones, thanks for taking the time to check your location and calling the builder to get further information. 90 PSI seems insane and I'm curious to know more about the high-performance add-ons you did. Sounds (and looks) like a beast!

Today we dropped my daughter back off at the airport and I got back to work on the Hot Mess. I wanted better access by the aera of the oil pressure port and ended taking off the alternator bracket. Most of my time was spent cleaning, ugh! Here are some pics of the before and after of that and a close up of the brass insert. It almost looks to me like the threads got stripped, trying to get it to seal.
    IMG_2227.jpg IMG_2228.jpg IMG_2231.jpg

It's tight on the backside of the block, but I'll take a small mirror and try to locate the cam journal port.

Yes davide your adapter does look like it’s shot as far as sealing. I’d get a new adapter, thread tape it good and try that hole again.
    Yes 90 is insane for sure, it is a beast both bmorgil and gmwillys drove it around in Toledo 2 years ago at the Jeep Fest when we all met up. I didn’t do a hell of a lot just bored it .060 over put a cam in it and added a Holley Sniper EFI and like I said put a high volume oil pump and high pressure spring in it with a remote filter up on the firewall but it does run pretty good.
    Plus mine is a 252 Buick V6 that came from the factory with a 4 bbl carb.
    Last edited by TJones; 03-25-2023 at 07:24 PM.