Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot mess, a 1967 CJ-5 restoration

The weekend was very productive. My friend welded on the battery tray bracket and let me use his sand blaster kit. Here is the end result of what I got accomplished...
    IMG_2568.jpg IMG_2569.jpg IMG_2567.jpg
    I'll put the final touches on the battery tray tomorrow and bolt her up as well as get the first coats of primer on the valve covers.

Definitely going to do the job on the battery box. Those valve covers are going to turn out well. They don't make them out of heavy gauge steel like that anymore.

While I'm waiting for the paint to dry, I decided to circle back to the brake fluid coming out of the single reservoir master cylinder vented cap. It still happens when I press on the pedal, but I don't know why. Did I overfill the reservoir? Do I find a non-vented cap?

My Universal Service Manual doesn't even mention the single reservoir MC. I have searched through this and other Jeep blogs, but can't find anything that is specific for this cylinder. I even looked at all the Q&A's on the KW Store. The only thing mentioned was that a vented cap is fine. I hope so, as I bought the MC new from them (which included the vented cap)
    Last edited by davide; 07-26-2023 at 10:27 PM.

As you watch that paint dry, I am thinking you may have overfilled the Master. The original cap is a cast iron thing with a vent. In the military Jeep the cap vent was threaded for the water fording hose if used.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-27-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I double checked the fluid level and it doesn't appear to be overfilled. That may be ambiguous as there is no spec on how many ounces of fluid to use. I couldn't find one and KW guys said they filled the reservoir close to the top. They were also unaware of a volume spec or markings in the cast to specify a fill level.

They recommend I bleed the brakes again as I may still have air in the line somewhere. So I'll do that...

Buried deep in the manual there is a note in the rebuild section.

"Fill to the level of 1/2" below the top of the fill hole".

If you go much higher it will come out the top, especially on a hot day. With no vent the brakes would begin to apply.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-27-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Nice catch on that! I'll look at mine and see if it is in that section too. I didn't bother to go over the rebuild section as I put a new MC in. It will be nice to let others be aware of that.

Here is the finished battery tray. IMG_2575.jpg

BTW, I have been trying to upload Rubicon pictures to the gallery. I initially loaded 5 pics and it seemed as if they were accepted and then they mysteriously disappeared. Poof! Then I tried again and noticed the chronological order I wanted them in was reversed. I would have to essentially put them in last to first. I even tried moving the uploaded pics in the gallery, but the tool didn't let me do that. Being able to drag a pic to the order I want would be a nice enhancement.
    Last edited by davide; 07-27-2023 at 07:17 PM.

The paint job turned out really nice!
    IMG_2577.jpg IMG_2578.jpg

Just like brand new! I thought those would turn out nice. You had a great starting part.

I am back from my last Summer vacation. I picked up a group 24F battery and am now ready to begin the engine start-up process. Cranking over the engine for the first time was a success. The alternator and oil pressure light were lit on the speedo assembly and the headlights worked. After a few seconds of cranking the engine over, the oil light went out and the oil pressure gauge climbed to about 20 PSI. So far, so good...
    I filled the tank with 5 gallons of gas and was now hoping to see fuel work its way up through the fuel filter. I cranked the engine over and over. At most, 5 seconds at a time, but I did not see fuel getting to the filter. I even disconnected the fuel line leading to the carburetor, thinking the float may be stuck closed and creating a block for fuel to flow.
    My belief at this time is that fuel pump is bad (rotted diaphragm) after sitting idle for so many years. I will remove the inlet line to the pump, just to make sure fuel can get to it, but know that it can as I replaced all the line from the tank to the pump. You don't know what you don't know until you verify...
    If you all have some other thoughts or tests I should do before picking up the pump, please chime in.