Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot mess, a 1967 CJ-5 restoration

Thanks Bob, that's a great idea. I saw a little rust on the outside bottom of the tank, cleaned and painted it too. It's drying now and I will put the welts on tomorrow and reinstall.

I got back to cleaning up the LF hub area and saw that my upper king pin bearing was dry. Of course, the race and bearing were wasted. As long as I am doing the upper, I might as well replace all of them on both sides.

20210723_155450.jpg 20210723_155758.jpg

I think that getting the race out should be straight forward, but thought I might ask if there are any tricks or pitfalls to be aware of. I also noticed that my brake hose looks cracked and will replace both of those while I'm at it.

Oops, forgot to ask about this too. On the king pins themselves, part of the casting below the bearing is discolored. A purple-ish hue that looks like the metal was very, very hot. Is this normal? What might have caused it?

This isn't the best pic, but gives an idea to what I am seeing 20210723_163115.jpg

No tricks it should come apart fairly easy. I would say someone had a bearing freeze on that pin. It looks like a torch was used to heat up the bearing to get it off. If there was a bearing failure there would be no motion there that would cause heat, just looseness. For sure on the brake hose.

Hello All, I am back at it again. Some life events had me away for a few months, but I am back at it.

Bob, thanks for the info on the king bearing races. They did pop out easily as you said they would. I also picked up some Red-Kote at my local O'Reilly's and coated the tank.

I have to take it easy for a few more weeks, so I thought I would pick up at the speedo gear again. Recall that I was not able to get the speedo pencil gear to mesh with the transfer case speedometer drive gear.

Today I took off the speedo gear housing (aka rear bearing cap) and examined the speedo drive gear. I compared it to the one shown on the WK parts page for a Dana 18. Two things stood out:

1. My speedo drive gear is 7 tooth and the KW parts catalogue drive gear (#A1511) looks to be 6 tooth.
    2. My speedo drive gear has no collar/flange on the end and the A1511 does.

A quick Google search on the cast number of my speedo drive gear (SW-447537-18-7) appears to be for a Dana 20. So now I don't know what I have for a transfer case. Here are a few pictures of my transfer case. Might one of you be able to tell? You will also see how my pencil gear and drive gear don't align.

20211012_143247.jpg

20211012_143541.jpg

20211012_143858.jpg
    Last edited by davide; 10-13-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo

A few more pictures will help. Particularly a few pictures that show any casting numbers on the case. The shifter mechanism looks like a 20. Though as we spoke of before, it could be a single stick 18. It could also be a "Super 18" as Novac calls them. A large bore 18 using the 20 case. There are a few shifter setups on the 20. More pictures will help. A lot of things can happened to the 18. People put all kinds of conversions in them. I have also seen people use the 20 case. The 20 is easy to identify. The output is centered or straight out the back where the PTO would go on the 18. The casting number still starts with 18 whether it is an 18 or a 20.

The 18 uses a 4 tooth speedometer drive gear (Willys A-1511) and a 12 tooth speedometer driven gear (Willys A-5707) in early CJ's.

The SW-447537-18-7 is a 6 tooth drive gear used in '62 and up Model 18's and 20's on some CJ's and most Pick ups, with 4 different driven gears, 15, 16, 17 or 18 teeth depending on the vehicles gear ratio.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-13-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Bob, I've edited yesterdays post as it looks like the first picture of the transfer case showing the casting numbers was too large. Let me know if this helps or if more detail is needed, thanks.

I am going to say that is a model 20 case with model 18 internals, sometimes called a "Super 18" davide. What is the axle ratio? That will tell us the speedo gear combination. You will need a 15, 16, 17 or 18 tooth driven gear depending on the axle ratio, to use with your 447537 drive gear.

A model 20 has the input shaft and the output shaft in line. In other words the output is where the PTO would go on an 18. You can use model 18 internals in a 20 case however and make a "Super 18". It looks like the output is in the model 18 location. I would say however, that is a model 20 case. So it is the correct transfer case for a Jeep with a Buick V6 engine. A large bore "Super 18". This case first appeared around 1966 or 1967.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-14-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks Bob. Assuming this is what you are looking for, the axle ratio is 3.73. Let me know if you are looking for something different.

axle tag.jpg

I apologize for the inverted image and have tried numerous things to have it right side up without success.
    Last edited by davide; 10-13-2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo

I have an old Stewart Warner chart that shows the Stewart Warner 448856 is 16 teeth and was for the 4.09 ratio. The 448855 is 15 teeth and is for the 3.53 ratio. These mate correctly with your drive gear part number. Depending on your tires, one of these will be as close as you can get. With tall tires the 15 tooth is probably as close as you are going to get.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-13-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Bob, does your SW chart mention the 3.73 ratio? I am not looking for perfect speed accuracy. Just something that gets me close.

I understand what you have said regarding what you think my transfer case may be (and appreciate that), but I don't know if I get a pencil gear that will mate with the current drive gear or get a new drive gear that mates with my current pencil gear. Which BTW the pencil gear I have is a 15 tooth gear, SW448162. My tires are 31" Goodyear Wranglers.

KW parts does have the Dana 18 speedo drive gear available (A1511) and I am wondering if this will resolve my issue. Or do you think that I should find the pencil gear for the Dana 20 drive gear (and axle ratio) I have? Seems to me like 6 of one and half dozen the other...