Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot mess, a 1967 CJ-5 restoration

Every time you guys answer a question, it seems like a new Tech Library answer record is created

I called Lucas this morning and they did confirm that the limited slip additive is incorporated in the gear oil and that if I needed more additive for some reason, that it was ok to add a few ounces of it. Now that I have a little piece of mind, I will use the Lucas gear oil and should I hear some chatter on turns, I will use the additional additive.

Bob, I promised some updated pictures and I took a few today for you. I kept the drums off so you could see the brakes and the standard self-adjusters. I put a new sender on the fuel tank after coating the inside with RedCote. And you might be able to see the new master cylinder above the tank.

The gear oil should come tomorrow and I will add that to the front and rear diffs. I also pulled out a small space heater to warm up the engine oil pan before I drain it.

IMG_2157.jpg IMG_2158.jpg IMG_2159.jpg IMG_2160.jpg
    Last edited by davide; 03-04-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Looking solid! It is coming along nicely.

I am sorry that the pictures are rotated incorrectly. I did try to fix them, but did not have any success in getting them displayed correctly. It seems that pics need to be taken in a landscape format, not portrait. If I missed a post on how to correct this, please point me to it.

The gear oil is in both diffs now and I got the rear drums on and the brake adjusters set. It's the first time I have ever delt with manual brakes and kept turning the star adjuster until I felt resistance on the drum.

It doesn’t seem to matter how they are taken on the phone. They post rotated. It took me 5 tries the last time I tried to correct one. I just use the laptop if getting the orientation correct is that important to me.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I need some more feedback...

When I was getting ready to grease the front wheel bearings and get the drums on so I could adjust those brakes, I notice this discoloration on my passenger side bearings. I don't know if I'm looking at burnt rollers or an artifact of sitting for 20 years. The bearings aren't cracked or busted. The rollers are smooth and turn well. The outer races have the same look to them. They feel smooth and have no pitting or grooves in them. I'm tempted to grease them up and put them back in, but want to see what the experts have to say.

IMG_2166.jpg IMG_2168.jpg IMG_2169.jpg

I think that is "Etching". It is hard to tell but it could be etched from sitting in the grease which may have broken down. It looks like more of a stain than damage. I would be concerned that it is more than surface discoloration. You have come this far, I wouldn't chance it.

Thanks Bob. I came to the same conclusion and already have 4 sets on order.

[QUOTE=davide;21351]I am sorry that the pictures are rotated incorrectly. I did try to fix them, but did not have any success in getting them displayed correctly. It seems that pics need to be taken in a landscape format, not portrait. If I missed a post on how to correct this, please point me to it.

I have found out that if the pictures are rotated I send them to my home computer via email then create a folder to save them in, then you can edit them, save them in the right format, rotate to the correct orientation or resize them to the right size then repost the on the forum.
    It’s a bit of a PITArse but it works for me
    Last edited by TJones; 03-05-2023 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks for the input TJones. This is what I initially did (with the exception of emailing them to myself) and was surprised to have this happen. I have many pics in other posts and never ran into this before. I also made multiple tries as Jeff suggested and that didn't help either. I am persistent and will keep trying...