Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gizzard's M38A1 Restoration

Looks like it was supposed to stay in gear from the looks of the piece of angle iron welded in behind the levers,

Good eye TJ, I did not see the "Auto Shift Lock"! The Bubba has now been elevated to thee "King Bubba" status.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-20-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Been busy gathering parts............lots to share soon!!

Gathering up and hunting parts is half the fun!!

Definitely a big part of the fun! You can burn up the keys on your lap top that's for sure.

I just acquired a 24 volt starter and a 24 volt generator. They look good, but have no idea if they function.

What options do I have for sending off for rebuild?

24-Volt Rotary Machines

Quote Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
    I just acquired a 24 volt starter and a 24 volt generator. They look good, but have no idea if they function.

What options do I have for sending off for rebuild?
    Other than the 24-volt rating, they aren't much different than their 6 or 12 volt cousins, but the real issue is getting to the connections because of the MIL plugs.

They may not need to be rebuilt - that's the good news. Figuring out how to determine that is a bit of an issue.

Let me poke around a bit and see what I can find for testing options. We went through some of this with Ira/Magoo, so it's not totally new territory.

I’m trying to locate and buy the proper fuel pump, with no luck. I don’t have a core so it’s no dice so far

24 volt starters and generators are really robust, and don't typically give much issue outside of a voltage regulator acting up, or corrosion in a starter. LarrBeard will have you a path to follow on checking your assemblies out soon.

For the fuel pump you may have to jump on eBay or Google and grab what you can find. Then at least you will have a core. I see there are a few places that will rebuild your old one, if you have the old one. You could always use the new replacement dual action pump, are you trying to stay 100% original? That of course always costs more!

Im trying for original if possible, but not opposed to the new style, if thats I'll I can find.

I looked at the new style. It appears to have different connection methods.......What type connection is required for the fuel and vacuum lines?
    Last edited by Gizzard; 11-14-2021 at 08:16 AM.