Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little bit of eye candy

I always knew you were a Very Wise Man gm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Welcome. That is Beautiful. How tall are your tires?
    Tires are 235/75 15s which if my math is right, is about a 29 inch wheel.
    Thinking about moving to like a 31 when these wear out with a little bit of a lift if I can, but that probably isn't until next year at the soonest anyway.

Taller tires are a good thing.

Thank you I'm at 30" on fifteen with Coker Bias Plies. Wondering if I could squeeze out anothed 5mph top end with a radial 33", so looking for options. Like your truck's tires!

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Thank you I'm at 30" on fifteen with Coker Bias Plies. Wondering if I could squeeze out anothed 5mph top end with a radial 33", so looking for options. Like your truck's tires!
    Well I am running Radial tires (prior owners choice) with the Saturn OD I can cruise pretty comfortably at 55ish at around 2300rpm which works well since other than the highway, max speed limit around here is 50. I'd like to go a little bigger tires and maybe some 16inch rims but also need to figure out where my best application of power is (between tire size and gearing ratios and such). Probably be posting some questions soon about what options are, currently steep long hills are the nemesis of my truck.

Guess I also forgot the Engine shot.... Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tires, Gears, Overdrive and Hills

" Probably be posting some questions soon about what options are, currently steep long hills are the nemesis of my truck. "

2200 or 2300 RPM is the sweet spot for the L/F-134 engines. It is the peak of the torque curve. Below that RPM, the engine is "Peppy" - or at least as peppy as it will get and responds to throttle commands pretty well. Much above that speed, if you get on the throttle it responds; "You want me to do whaaat?" The '48 with 7.00 x 16 tires runs at 43 MPH - any more than that and it just gets very sluggish and makes enough noise you get ashamed of beating it that hard.

Long steep hills will continue to be a nemesis for the L-134. On flat roads, you can make choices of tires, gearing and overdrive to get a bit more speed, but on hills you run into Physics. 60 HP translates into 33,000 foot pounds per second. You can raise a weight of x-pounds (the weight of your vehicle) so many feet in a second with so many horsepower available.

You learn to get a running start on the downhill side and let the "zoom" take you up the front of the next hill.

The picture is as about as happy as things get... Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The picture is as about as happy as things get... Enjoy!

Love It Larry, that thing is a Work of Art....Beautiful!!!

Larry just keeps showin' off that dash!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Larry just keeps showin' off that dash!
    Can't really blame him, that's a slick looking gauge cluster. I have the original gauges from my truck, but when they replaced them with what is in the picture, they cut a mostly square hole in the dash that is covered by that metal plate. I would have to either totally replace the dash or at least cut and paste in the center section to go back.