Thread: 24 volt System EMP Proof??

Hybrid View

Question 24 volt System EMP Proof??

In case we are EMP'd, are these systems emp proof without a Faraday cage?.....asking for a friend

M38A1 EMP Status

Quote Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
    In case we are EMP'd, are these systems emp proof without a Faraday cage?.....asking for a friend
    The electrical system on an M38A1 was largely shielded to reduce the electrical interference with any installed radio equipment. Many of the smaller conductors were not shielded, but the high energy ignition components were. For example, the ignition coil is mounted in a waterproof electrically shielded box (it needs air drawn through it from the vent system for cooling). You might lose some light bulbs, but the actual susceptible energy transfer components are not going to be an efficient antenna to the EMP electric and H-fields. Most EMP energy is low frequency and short leads of wire just aren't that efficient in picking it up. Think about losing power transmission lines to an EMP pulse vs. Jeep wiring.

The older vehicles with no significant amount of onboard electronics are fairly resistant to high energy EMP - there just aren't that many susceptible components and the few that might be susceptible tend to be shielded.

In addition to EMP effects, the M38A1 and older Jeeps are pretty well immune to gamma-dot and neutron fluence effects as well. If your friend were to store his M38A1 in a metal building that was not blown away by blast effects, and if he were not zapped himself. he could probably go out and look around after SHTF day.

(You live too close to Mountain Home AFB ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
    Sure you are Gizzard! Haa haaa. You are too close to Roswell to worry. The EMP will microwave everything in Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.

I am building a Faraday cage for my vehicle BTW....

I figured as much Gizzard! Your "friend" gave it away. Make sure you let us see it. It will be the first I have seen!

Heard somewhere some dudes are known to be driving a late model willys automobile looking thing and have been seen flying around the seashores. Somebody said their rig looks like a tic tac, but that thing looks straight up kaiser willys jeep to me. What else can do air, land, and sea? Anyways, hit them up on the e-lectro survival tactics? I'm sure they've got good info. To meet em, simply turn out of towner on the county line road and

My cage will be a simple total cover for the vehicle....all other vehicles will be SOL as they are dripping in computer chips

All comms will be in separate containers designed as EMP proof.

when you upgrade the interior you can add a thint layer of rubberization, betwixt the metal and the door cards or other interior lining fabric or decorative plastic applied there, to absorb the sound, for the sound deadening. Just make sure it's thickness will soften the ņutside and inside sounds to your hearing satisfaction. See, the reason that foil is adequate for holding in the insulation and refracturing the sunlight also serves another purpose. The 't' in thint is the outer layer of foil, sort of like a sun shade? Stands for made from tin. Protect us from the other, it will!