Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Louisiana

Hello from Louisiana

Just picked up a 3A and I can’t wait to start wrenching on her.

She’s in good shape due to the DIY hard top. Engine is locked but I picked up a spare so that’s my first challenge. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

Hello GringoEarl! That thing looks real original and all there. I love the tops that show up on these things! gmwillys on this site is often able to identify where they came from. Though a lot of them look and are homemade, some of the worst looking ones are actually made by small fabrication companies of the time. A lot of history in these things.

Welcome!

A locked up engine might not be all that bad as we have found out several times recently. Penetrating oil in the cylinders and patience may free it up better than you think it would.

You have another interesting top on the 3A - we've seen some ingenious ones of those lately too.

Keep us informed on what you find as you go along - there WILL be surprises....

Welcome GringoEarl,

Great looking 3A project! I believe you are correct in saying that the cab is a home made piece, but it looks pretty descent. Cabs do save you a lot of head aches because they help to keep water out of the drive train.

If you would like to try and free up the engine, you could try the following;

When you get the plugs out of the engine, try a solution mixture of diesel fuel, transmission fluid, and PB Blaster/WD40 or your favorite penetrating oil to fill up the cylinders. If you can attach a come-a-long to a sturdy anchor point, put the Jeep in gear and apply pressure to the drive line and let sit. Each day try and give the come-a-long another click of tension, and with a little luck you'll have the engine freed up. Then you can go from there to see if the engine is worth saving or pulling. It is just easier to unstick an engine in chassis then on a stand.

I often reference my Father and the things he did in some tough situations. Here's one he helped my brother and I with on my mom's 63' Ford Falcon long ago.

My brother folded a ring on install and he and his friend proceeded to run the vehicle up and down the driveway while popping the clutch in gear to try to get the piston back out. They got it stuck fantastic! Wrong rotation on the engine to their thought process. The piston dropped deep into the cylinder and locked up the drive train. I tried everything. My Dad came home from work and said "after dinner". He had us pull the pan and drop all the rod and main caps and the crank. He took a wood block and lifted the car off the ground by the connecting rod. He then went on top and with another wood block placed on the block top, struck the wood block with a sledge. The car dropped and the piston shot out into my hands.

I have since tried this on a few stuck ones. It still works today! You could even pull the head and give it a good soaking with the solution gm recommends above, and then like he said, some kind of load. If the head is off it will get easier to apply different "loads" to the piston. I agree with gm in the chassis can be easier sometimes than wrestling on an engine stand. You can use the weight of the vehicle and the drive train to your advantage.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-22-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted.

One more thing. It has a interesting looking aftermarket heater that I have never seen before. I’m curious to see what you guys think. I’ll post pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks

"It has a interesting looking aftermarket heater ... "

Does it have a little door to put in sticks and a stovepipe?

That's just about the only thing we've not seen - yet ....

Be careful what you ask for Senior Chief;

https://carbuzz.com/news/video-a-woo...o-heat-a-volvo

It's not a Jeep, but that was just a quick search.

In some circles that would be covered by "The first liar doesn't stand a chance".

AT least that heater really works!

Well officer I was loading the heater when I veered off the road and rolled it into the gas station. The fire after wasn't my fault.