Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help -1949 jeepster

Need help -1949 jeepster

Long story short. My dad has a 49 jeepster. He started working on it 10 plus years ago. Problem is he has since been diagnosed with dementia three years ago. We have tried to get the car running but no luck. It’s the 4 cly that has been rebuilt. Rebuilt carb, new plugs, distributor, you name it is been replaced or rebuilt. It has kicked over once but can’t get it going. Any help would be awesome to try and get it running. It would make his day!
    Thanks
    Tommy

Welcome! Any pics of under the hood and the dash / pedals / levers?

Welcome Tommy P.

Our condolences to you for your father's condition. We all will do our very best to help out to get you up and going for him to see.

I would start with spark. Do you have spark, and is it there when it is supposed to be, (timing). Key switches have been a fairly constant culprit lately for whatever reason.

Fuel would be the next order of business. Is there fuel getting to and through the carburetor?

We'll start there and work deeper if need be, but you should be good on compression, especially if you used the term "kick over".

Tommy gm has you on track. These are very basic machines and require basic thinking. An internal combustion engine will fire if it has enough compression, spark at the right time, good fuel and correct valve timing. When these things wont fire it comes down to which one doesn't it have.

Welcome Tommy P

Like bmorgil stated you have one of the best heading you in the right direction, it probably is something very simple like timing or something like that.
    I am sure you will have that ole girl purring like a sewing machine within a week, it sure sounds like your Dad has put some time and effort into it from the sounds of things he has done.
    Nothing better than putting a smile on someone's face buddy, keep up the good work!!!

I will get some pics when I go over there this weekend.

Tommy

It has spark. It has fuel. It has the glass bowl/pump. To me it seems like the bowl should be full but it never ends up full. It has a ne battery but it just seems like it does not turnover fast enough for it to start.

Does it have a good blue spark at the plug? Are you sure the fuel is fresh? Is it firing at all or just turning over with no pops or bangs?

That glass bowl confuses many. When it is full it isn't a good thing. It is a sight bowl to see if it is filling. It is there to give a visual on fuel flow and handle the expanding fuel as it gets hot. If you ever get the fuel hot, like idling in gear on a hot day and then shut it down and let it soak in the heat, it will fill that bowl. It provides the only filtering originally. There is a screen in the bottom and the sediment is filtered out and lays on top of the screen. It works the same as one with a glass bowl on the bottom except that it wont usually fill and you cant see the sediment that collects.

" but it just seems like it does not turnover fast enough for it to start..."

We have gotten accustomed to 12-volt electrical systems with high speed starters on our modern vehicles. The Old Jeeps/Jeepsters turn over a lot slower than modern vehicles.

One way to check that is to tow it up to about 10 MPH, put it in second gear and pop the clutch. If it starts and runs, you will need to check the starter for issues. (Heck, with a Jeepster, a couple of teen age boys should have enough "Oomph" to get it pushed fast enough..)

In extended cold spells I used to have to do this to the '48 truck. I would use a braided piece of clothes line that was just barely enough rope to pull the truck and let the wife pull me using the family vehicle. Once I got up to speed I would pop the clutch. The line would break off and the wife would get out of the way - and I had 10 MPH of momentum to get it started.

Just be careful not to run into the tow vehicle!!!

It very seldom took two tries.

Another edit:

I should have stressed how important good, tight connections are, especially in 6-volt systems. Check battery clamps, the ground connection, the voltage at the big terminal on the starter. We've seen issues with the starter switch itself - contacts get old and pitted. Beware of "new" auto store battery cables - they are not heavy enough for 6-volt systems unless you specify them.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 07-01-2021 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added "teen age boys" as power source-

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Welcome! Any pics of under the hood and the dash / pedals / levers?

I have attached some pictures. I know we will have to triple check the brakes and clutch before we try and push start it.

It looks good from far, lol. It is not show quality and that is ok.

car3.jpgcar4.jpgcar5.jpg
    car1.jpgcar2.jpg