Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help -1949 jeepster

Hybrid View

Need help -1949 jeepster

Long story short. My dad has a 49 jeepster. He started working on it 10 plus years ago. Problem is he has since been diagnosed with dementia three years ago. We have tried to get the car running but no luck. It’s the 4 cly that has been rebuilt. Rebuilt carb, new plugs, distributor, you name it is been replaced or rebuilt. It has kicked over once but can’t get it going. Any help would be awesome to try and get it running. It would make his day!
    Thanks
    Tommy

Welcome! Any pics of under the hood and the dash / pedals / levers?

I will get some pics when I go over there this weekend.

Tommy

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post

I have attached some pictures. I know we will have to triple check the brakes and clutch before we try and push start it.

It looks good from far, lol. It is not show quality and that is ok.

car3.jpgcar4.jpgcar5.jpg
    car1.jpgcar2.jpg

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Here is a picture of the side of the car. We still need to get the top. We have a good working frame, just dont have the canvas yet. He knows the place he plans on gettingcar6.jpg it from.

It looks really good Tommy! I think "show quality" is in the eye of the looker. Those who appreciate the fact that you have kept it around and brought it out to show, defines show quality.

It looks very nice - you have nothing to apologize for.

I looked at battery cables. The big red positive cable looks like a really good cable for 6-volt systems, but the camera angle makes the negative cable look a lot skinnier. That Group 1 "Super Start" battery is the same battery as on my F-134 and it is plenty of battery to do the job if everything else co-operates.

The Jeepster mystery is enhanced as I look at your vehicle. The L-134 engine says it should be a 1948 or 1949. But the early Jeepsters had a flat, simple T-bar grille ornamentation. In 1950 the grille was redesigned and it had the chrome bars added.

Google "1949 Jeepster" and "1950 Jeepster" and you will see the difference in the grilles.

All three Rules of Jeep come into play here:

Rule 1. Believe nothing you read or nothing you are told until you verify it with your own eyes.

Rule 2. What you see is what you have.

Rule 3: Never say "Willys would never have __________________." In this case ".. put an L-134 engine in a 1950 Jeepster". They would have and probably did!

For sure Larry, especially in 1950 ish and definitely on Jeepsters. From what we know now about that time frame at Willys, they could have used a lot of combinations depending on the inventory on hand and the economy of the moment.

Welcome Tommy P.

Our condolences to you for your father's condition. We all will do our very best to help out to get you up and going for him to see.

I would start with spark. Do you have spark, and is it there when it is supposed to be, (timing). Key switches have been a fairly constant culprit lately for whatever reason.

Fuel would be the next order of business. Is there fuel getting to and through the carburetor?

We'll start there and work deeper if need be, but you should be good on compression, especially if you used the term "kick over".

Tommy gm has you on track. These are very basic machines and require basic thinking. An internal combustion engine will fire if it has enough compression, spark at the right time, good fuel and correct valve timing. When these things wont fire it comes down to which one doesn't it have.