Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help -1949 jeepster

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Welcome! Any pics of under the hood and the dash / pedals / levers?
    Here is a picture of the side of the car. We still need to get the top. We have a good working frame, just dont have the canvas yet. He knows the place he plans on gettingcar6.jpg it from.

It looks really good Tommy! I think "show quality" is in the eye of the looker. Those who appreciate the fact that you have kept it around and brought it out to show, defines show quality.

It looks very nice - you have nothing to apologize for.

I looked at battery cables. The big red positive cable looks like a really good cable for 6-volt systems, but the camera angle makes the negative cable look a lot skinnier. That Group 1 "Super Start" battery is the same battery as on my F-134 and it is plenty of battery to do the job if everything else co-operates.

The Jeepster mystery is enhanced as I look at your vehicle. The L-134 engine says it should be a 1948 or 1949. But the early Jeepsters had a flat, simple T-bar grille ornamentation. In 1950 the grille was redesigned and it had the chrome bars added.

Google "1949 Jeepster" and "1950 Jeepster" and you will see the difference in the grilles.

All three Rules of Jeep come into play here:

Rule 1. Believe nothing you read or nothing you are told until you verify it with your own eyes.

Rule 2. What you see is what you have.

Rule 3: Never say "Willys would never have __________________." In this case ".. put an L-134 engine in a 1950 Jeepster". They would have and probably did!

For sure Larry, especially in 1950 ish and definitely on Jeepsters. From what we know now about that time frame at Willys, they could have used a lot of combinations depending on the inventory on hand and the economy of the moment.

Yo Tommy, thank you for the pictures. you mentioned show quality. I like playing with words.

So, the show part includes cars and coffee on corners all around the USA. Like minded people. You could drag that thing there tomorrow or park it anywhere near a 4th of July parade and people would love it.

The quality part, all about you. Any son who takes an interest in his father's jeepster wins the gold medal for quality. We had a member here, Ira, may he rest, who was famous for saying "we turn one bolt at a time".

You've got a beautiful example there. Just keep at it and don't crack anything metal with a hammer unnecessary!

It looks very nice. I notice that the body tub is a 48/49 (rectangular instrument cluster), but the grill, front fenders, and hood are from a 1950/51. I cannot tell what year the body tub is from, but if you provide a photo with the door open, I can tell if it is a 48/early 49, or late 49) The door latches were different on the early ones. The rear wheel skirts have also been modified from either body style. Lastly, the 48/49's had the side steps with small stone guards where the 50/51 they were optional and larger stone guards when not included. The L134 was the only four available in 48/49, and the F134 was the only four available in 50/51 with the later body style. There were some early 50's with the 48/49 body style with the L134 four and L148 six, but not many. I know some on this site think that Willys often used non-typical parts but from what I have seen (over 500 Willys trucks, wagons, and Jeepster) the all original one (although few) seam the have the typical parts manual parts. I think many of the variations are owner supplied, not from the factory. That is not to say that mistakes didn't happen or that Willys Management made changes not recorded in the parts manuals, but I think they are far less often than some might think.

Good info dg! You are officially the Jeepster go to. Good eye on everything.

I am one for sure who was made aware of parts usage at the Willys plant. Growing up around Toledo in the early 60's, I was around many people who had worked at the Willys Overland plant. It was very close to where I grew up. Parents often spoke of lean times at the plant especially as WWII ended the huge orders for Jeeps. Just a small handful of workers from the plant are still alive and attend the Jeep Fest every year. They are a hoot to talk to if you can find one. Their input is fantastic. They are about all gone. Even though the Korean war included jeeps, many were left over. Things got tight at Willys. The Jeepsters never sold well. By 1953 Willys sold it to Kaiser. There are a few stories of "re-plating" older models as well as rework for dealer returns and repossession. During model year changes old inventory was reworked or used and never thrown away. One theme is constant amongst all those who remember working there, Willys was thrifty. They weren't making mistakes it was called "re-work".

It would indeed be rare to have a vehicle fitting these descriptions of re-plated or using parts from older models. It was apparently most prominent in the lean years and in the end. When it happened it occurred at model year changeovers. You would be talking about a handful of vehicles among thousands. Make no mistake however, we have been told by the workers it did occur! This of course was not just Willys. Many manufactures reworked old inventory.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-03-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Lets be sure we are clear what we are talking about. 1950 was a split year for the trucks, wagons, and Jeepsters. In the case of the Jeepsters, the 1949 body style VJ-3 (L134) or VJ3-6 (L148) had all the same main parts except for the instrument cluster/dash (rectangular), front clip (flat fenders small V grill), engine (L134 or L148), door latches (rounded), and steering wheel, (there were options but not alternatives parts) other than different suppliers. Whereas the 1950 body style 473-VJ3 (F134) or 673-VJ3 (L161) had all the same main parts again except for the instrument cluster/dash (rounded with ash tray), front clip (tear drop fenders, V grill), engine (F134 or L161), door latches (square), and steering wheel. I have yet to see any original from the factory 1949 body style Jeepsters with the late 1950 instrument cluster/dash, engine, front clip, door latches, or steering wheel with the 1949/early 50 VIN plate (VJ-3 or VJ3-6). Likewise, I have yet to see any 1950 body style Jeepster with the 1949/early 50 instrument cluster/dash, engine, front clip, door latches, or steering wheel with the late 1950 VIN plate (473-VJ3 or 673-VJ3). I'm not saying there were no special orders or reworked parts as you say, I just have not seen any all original Jeepsters with these differences. Thanks.

Aint those both truth. Like everything, what you know is what you know, and we benefit from all of it on here. Especially interesting is knowing a car by handles and suchlike. Recently I read about a guy who had a j truck model like mine but 4 years before I knew it existed. I'm still trying to figure it out. That thing shouldn't exist!! He even had paperwork. Troubles me because it throws a whole thing I thought about my truck out of whack. Armrests on it are just plain wrong. But it’s factory. I'm aggrieved. Personally!!!

PS Tommy this is why I asked for pictures of the dash and pedals and levers. Thanks for posting it up! Good conversation starters
    Last edited by 5JeepsAz; 07-03-2021 at 09:18 PM.

More great info dg! The history you have is excellent. I think finding the rare ones is the greatest conversation starters. You hear about these things but may never actually see it. I do have a great example of a change over year CJ. It is the only one I have seen with the parts combination I have. Being the second owner, the history is pretty well known. One of the first 1000 built 1950 CJ3A's It has a 41 axle (2A style) not the 44 a 3A should have. It has the original motor though I clearly milled off a truck serial number when I decked the block. It has the early 2A motor plate and the factory adapter to the 3A motor for the windshield wiper pump. It was converted by the dealer to a farm Jeep. There were a few other little things that stood out.

Anyway that always leads us to Larrbeard's rules of Willys Jeeps, You have what you have and don't think Willys wouldn't have done that! You just never know.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-04-2021 at 08:21 AM.