Thread: Wiring Question

Wiring Question

I have a 51 Wagon. I am adding turning signals and the passenger rear tail light. Have it rewired with these requirements added in when I ordered the wiring harness. The turn signal came with it but seperate. I think I have it wired up but it came with no flasher unit or wiring to a positive feed. I bough an old turn signal unit with a flasher an wired it to the new. but I do not have a fuesable link between it and the positive feed. What size fuze do I need and can someone show me the wiring from the flasher unit to the positivbe feed

Turn signal wiring

Added turn signals to my 51 Wagon which it didn't have before. Staying 6 volt and order new wiring harness and turn signal unit. Got wiring harness and turn signal was seperate with no idea how to wire the turn signal to a positive feed. Came with no flasher unit, fuse or wire to positive feed. Got an old turn signal unit with flasher unit and rewired to my new one. Still need to have a fuseable link between it and a positive feed. What size fuse and do anyone have a complete wiring guide for the turn signal unit along with the cigar lighter and the heater box for my 51 wagon.

You are in that confusing, gray area of 1950 - 1951 where things often don't look like they should - more so than regular Willys-Overland oddities.

I think I found a pretty good wiring diagram of what the wagon originally looked like:

http://www.jeep-trucks.com/assets/im...5051wiring.pdf

All electrical protection was provided by the 30-amp thermal circuit breaker on the back of the light switch. You can grab power either from the BAT terminal of the light switch or the load side of the ammeter - it is sometimes easier to get to the ammeter terminal than the light switch. Power from either of these two sources will need to be fused.

The cigar lighter does not show up on the basic wiring diagram - it was a fancy accessory. I would put a 20-amp in-line fuse or link in series with it. The blower motor for the heater won't take much current - a 10-amp will be plenty to protect wiring and let the motor run nicely.

Blinkers can be run from the circuit breaker terminal that goes to the lights - it takes very little additional load - but you can make it a fused load if you want to be extra cautious.

Good luck - and post some pictures of the beast!