Thread: Exhaust Routing

Exhaust Routing

So, as I am going over the vehicle trying to figure out what needs attention and what order I will address these issues in, I have come across this exhaust issue seen in the photo. The muffler is sitting on the parking brake cable (which is just zip tied to a cross member as the front cable section that goes to the handle is missing). I reattached the hanger that is just back from the muffler as the bolt was missing, this gave me a little lift on the exhaust. I was able to somewhat twist the muffler by hand but it is still pretty much as seen in the picture.
    Two Questions
    1 - Does this look like the correct muffler?
    2 - Even if I get it horizontal, there ain't much room, it seems like it might rub against my drive shaft (that you can't really see in the picture), am I missing something here? or is it installed backwards? (one side the inlet/outlet is off center)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, it looks like the correct muffler - or close to it;

But, there is something weird about how things are routed. GMWillys is our wagon master - he'll have some insight of cable routing and muffler rotation.

Here is a picture of the '55 muffler from the KWAS catalog - oval with offset pipes ...

The oval muffler would work, but it needs to be forward of the crossmember. I thought the muffler should have been round, and according to the diagram, it is. You just don't have a lot of real estate to play with in that area. On my wagon, with a V-8, the mufflers were aft of the crossmember, where there was a lot more room.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...exhaust-system

I'm not sure exactly where you are suggesting that it would go, but here is another picture to better show where it is located.

I do think that there is probably enough room to twist it and get it tucked up where it should be. I am going to wait until I can get some new exhaust clamps as I think that the old ones will likely break when I pull them off because they are pretty well rusted.

Guess we will see how it goes.