Thread: Frame Paint?

Frame Paint?

Hello all,

I am entirely new to any sort of auto restoration. I bought my great grandfather's 1955 CJ5, and I have been attempting to rescue it and bring it back to driving and usable condition. I have it taken apart in my garage and I have been working on removing rust from the frame with an angle grinder. I have been researching options for frame paint, and I'm kind of at a loss for what to go with. My inclination as of now is to use POR15 on the inside parts and angles where I can't get every little bit of rust off and to use some sort of enamel frame paint on the bulk of the frame, which I am getting down to bare metal for the most part.

Does this sound like a viable way to restore and preserve the frame? What products can you recommend? I am open to suggestions and hoping to benefit from others' experience!

alove, there are a few conversations on this somewhere! If you search for frame paint you will find a few. I really like Rust-oliem. I put it on over Rust-oliem primer and bake it in the sun or under infa red heat. Where I cant get I use Eastwood internal frame coating and rust converter. Rust-Oliem stays fairly soft and doesn't tend to flake off from road impacts.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-01-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks, I'll check out the other threads. I appreciate the recommendation!