Thread: 1952 m38a1

1952 m38a1

Hello, New to the forum. I have a 1952 M38A1 that is in dire need of restoration. It is going to be body off from the ground up. I am looking for someplace to send the transmission and transfer case for rebuild and possible modification. I have spoken to Herm the Overdrive Guy and I am leaning that way but I was wondering if there is any feedback on him or any other vendor feedback?

Thanks

Jeff

I have not heard anything bad about Herm. I would say he is a good bet. I think gmwillys has some experience with him. I also have seen his name pop up on a few forums. Looking forward to your ground up. Give us lots of photos!

Welcome M J Moore,

Herm is the go to guy for most all your transmission and transfer case needs. I would not think twice about sending him anything that I needed gone through, (and I hate to send things out for someone else to go through). I've been in contact with Herm to see if I could purchase an overdrive for both of my Heeps. Just need to save my pennies first.

Thank you both very much I was feeling good after speaking to him but I'm on the East Coast and he is very far away tpo far to go if something goes awry.

Thanks again

Where are you located Jeff?
    I am in Ohio, I might be able to help find someone a little closer unless you want to tear into it yourself. It really isn’t that difficult to go through them and do it yourself, I did my T90 tranny and Dana 18 transfer case.
    There is a guy on youtube that walks you through the disassembly and rebuild step by step.
    Just look up Rick Stivers on YouTube, he is pretty good with instructions.
    Watch the video's and you can decide from there.
    Last edited by TJones; 07-01-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Have you ever contacted Specialty Jeeps in Coshocton OH? Bruce Uher is the owner and mechanic... - Jody

Here's a Question for anyone who might know: A Car Cover for the M38A1. Does anyone know where I can find a great indoor car cover for my M38A1?

https://www.carcover.com/bronze-shie...uv-2-door.html

I have one of these on my '50. It fits very well and is comparable to all the others of this type. It is fairly rugged and I wouldn't hesitate to use it outside for short periods of time. A nice heavy indoor cover.

Welcome and enjoy your project!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    https://www.carcover.com/bronze-shie...uv-2-door.html

I have one of these on my '50. It fits very well and is comparable to all the others of this type. It is fairly rugged and I wouldn't hesitate to use it outside for short periods of time. A nice heavy indoor cover.
    Looks like they got good selections there. We'll work on uncle's new CJ5 project after we finished installing the rack and bakflip cover on his truck and clear the garage. Got have a good cover for the winter.