Thread: CJ Steering Conversion and Adapters

Question CJ Steering Conversion and Adapters

Hello Friends!

I have a new-to-me 1968 CJ5 ... It appears the previous owner upgraded the steering with a later model steering box and drag link set up. I have attached two photos. To me this looks like a Saginaw manual box from a later model Jeep? There is a bolt-in adapter plate attached to the frame rail, to which the 3-bolt box is attached.

The only company I found that offers CJ conversion kits is Advanced Adapters ... My adapter mount does not look the same, but my steering box does.

My questions here are: Is anyone familiar with these conversion kits? What other companies manufacture kits?

I would like to identify this kit so I can order the appropriate maintenance parts. i.e.: Tie rod ends, new manual steering box

Thanks in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow - that is shiny clean ....

More than likely you have a a home fabricated mount, but I didn't see enough from the two photos to be certain. The tie rod ends look stock, and will be easy to get replacement parts.

I think so too gm. It looks like someone has adapted a newer steering link and box. It looks good from what you have photographed. Shoot some more pictures CJ Sally, showing the whole setup. The angle iron welded to the long link is an old trick. I don't think any tie rods or links from auto suppliers came with that feature.

This is a "thing". I have read a few stories of persons converting to the Saginaw box. If you google converting a cj5 to Saginaw steering you will get some good reading.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-07-2021 at 05:51 AM.

I can get a few more … tough to photograph assembled

Looks like cast iron?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is just hard to see installed like you said CJ. As limited as the view is, it looks like a very good setup. The spring shackle showing in one photo is a nice piece. It looks like someone bought a kit of some kind. The conversion was and still is popular.