Thread: 1960 CJ3B Steering Knuckle and Axle Rebuild

1960 CJ3B Steering Knuckle and Axle Rebuild

Hello,
    Trying to understand the specs/drawings for my axle.
    For the "seals" and thrust washers, etc. on the front axle.
    spec/part list drawings show the thrust washer and a "guide, front axle shaft", which my current axle did not have when I took it apart.
    On my dana 25, does it need an "oil seal" at the knuckle end of housing? Most descriptions state "inner" or "next to carrier" but no ref to the outside one. Is it needed on my year?
    Do I need the "guide" and thrust washer?

Thanks,
    J

will post pics after i get them off of phone.
    j

J take a shot of the drawing of the guide you are speaking of. I think I know what you are referring to.

The oil seal is next to the carrier. There isn't an outside axle seal so to speak.

Hello,
    Here's some pics.
    The manual ref'd here seems to be the most reliable, i.e. it does show some serial number items like 26 teeth vs 29 teeth, but since it shows multiple pics.
    ?don't I have a full floating axle for the 1960/61 CJ3B?
    both sides missing the thrust washer.
    both sides missing the "guide, front axle shaft"

for the warn lock-o-matic hubs:
    missing a roller on each side, old warn docs/pics states 10
    the special lock washers on both sides not good and no slotted washers

?if I put it back together "as is" with new spindle nut kit and put the warn hubs back on, it would be "manual" not auto locking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics of the warn hub and knuckles removed.

more of the tear down...

items 61 and 62 in question

Quote Originally Posted by jeeprisk View Post
    items 61 and 62 in question
    Item 61 is a tin funnel shaped stamping. It is in there so the splines are guided into the seal at the carrier. The splines will cut the seal if they are allowed to rub across the lip on install. They are pressed in at assembly in the plant. They should still be in there unless they got knocked out. They are not available as a separate part. If hey are not in there you must be very careful on assembly. The splines are like knives across the seal. Take a good look I bet their still in there right next to the carrier seal.

The thrust washer is only used with the early style axle shaft. If they aren't in there I would say you have newer style axle shafts.

Yes the front axle would be considered a "Full Floating" axle. By definition a Full Floating axle is an axle where the shafts do not bear the weight of the vehicle, they just transfer power. On a semi-float axle the axle shaft has the wheel bearings running right on them. The shaft holds the weight and transmits the power.

I would not put the hub locks back on. They will not be very strong if they lock or unlock at all. If you are going to run hub locks, upgrade them to a newer style.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-11-2021 at 08:03 AM.