Thread: Upgrading seats in '55 CJ5

Upgrading seats in '55 CJ5

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good option for putting new seats in a '55 CJ5. I would like something with a high back preferably to have some neck support. I have done some google searching but haven't found much. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome alove!!
    I restored a 52 CJ3A and found some hi-back buckets at JEGS that were on sale but I had to do some fabricating to get them to fit but they are pretty comfortable.

After I put them in I took them and had some orange inserts put in them.

IMG_4532 - Copy.jpgIMG_2001.jpg60588516873__F176BC69-E086-4EC7-AFD9-ADFEFC89E6E5.jpg60816345478__82132D6A-10A6-4847-9B7A-FADE40783DD5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Welcome alove!!
    I restored a 52 CJ3A and found some hi-back buckets at JEGS that were on sale but I had to do some fabricating to get them to fit but they are pretty comfortable.

After I put them in I took them and had some orange inserts put in them.

IMG_4532 - Copy.jpgIMG_2001.jpg60588516873__F176BC69-E086-4EC7-AFD9-ADFEFC89E6E5.jpg60816345478__82132D6A-10A6-4847-9B7A-FADE40783DD5.jpg
    Those look great! Those are the type of seat that I'm looking for! The CJ5 has a tool box under the passenger seat and the fuel tank under the drivers seat, so I'm wondering how I would get seats like those secured in there. It doesn't look like your CJ3 has the tool box, and I can't see from the pics if you have the tank under the drivers seat or not.

No
    I did A Lot of changes alove
    The battery is on the passenger side and I built a 18 gallon fuel cell that I mounted in the back

87892162-78F6-46E3-857B-DF1F8B12F172.jpg3058C90D-492C-4A87-8AE7-24D0AABF63B1.jpg

You might be able to weld the mounts to the
    CJ 5 mount you already have, look the
    Part number up and they will give you dimensions of the brackets.

The options are fairly open. TJ is tall, so he needs more leg room for he and room for the seats. Remote fuel tanks and removing the tool box will gain you an extra 5" for better seats.

When you look for seats there seems to be two basic styles to look at that change the way the seats will mount and work. The competition style seat or one piece "Bucket" will be the most affordable. These seats don't fold over and are fixed in position. They are usually the easiest to install and you usually have to fabricate the attachment to the floorboard. On some you can buy attachment mounts. They might come with a slide to move them forward and back. These types of seats hold you well and work great for keeping you in the seat. The more you spend the better they are. The passenger car style or the typical seat you see from the factory, are usually more flexible fold over and can be loaded with accessories like heat and lumbar and whatnot. They usually require a lot more effort to install. A lot of people use this style from available donor vehicles. I have seen some real nice seats out of some high end cars end up in a new home! No matter what you usually have to fabricate the mounting to the floorboard unless you find some direct bolt ins.

I think TJ has picked a very good option with the Jeg's seats he has. You can see it took him a bit of work to hook them to the floor. I think you can expect that if you pick aftermarket seats or choose not to go with the original. As gm said the sky's the limit when you move away from stock.

Some ideas here. https://www.prpseats.com/off-road-se...hoCp2YQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-28-2021 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks guys! I have a lot of options to consider! I don't have the original seats or mounts unfortunately, so I will end up buying or fabricating mounts in some capacity. I'll be stealing the engine out of an S10/Blazer/Jimmy, so I'll possibly have those seats at my disposal depending on how good of shape the vehicle is in. I don't particularly like the idea of sitting directly over a bunch of gasoline, but I probably won't move the fuel tank, and I like the idea of keeping the tool box there for originality and for practicality/storage. I'll have to play around with the mount options when I get there. I'm currently getting my frame prepped for primer and paint, so I have plenty of time to do some more research and thinking before I need to start making decisions. I do like the JEGS option.

I appreciate the information! Thank you all!