Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I laughed about blowing out the bell housing with compressed air, gm. Take a look at this picture that shows what the bell housing looks like. It is so full of oil that I don't think I'm blowing out anything in there! I assume all of this oil is from a leaking rear seal in the engine.

Engine bellhousing.jpg

All the oil seems to blow back and end up in the bell housing no matter where it leaks from.

Its hard to tell if that's original but.... The Auburn Clutch Company was purchased by Spicer and became Spicer Clutch. Then Eaton purchased it and it became Eaton Clutch. Then they decided to close it down in 2020. Sad, the premier heavy truck clutch in its day. That could be the original or, it could be a rebuilt original. Good tip from gm, never put a new clutch disk on an old flywheel surface. A quick trip to the machine shop for a touch up surface grind is in order to do the job right.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure and address the surfacing of the flywheel with the engine rebuilder when I get there. If he isn't planning on doing it, then I'll make sure I take care of it.

Here's a closeup of the flywheel. Is there any reason that I shouldn't try to replace the ring gear on this now? Looks fairly worn to me.

Flywheel.jpg

Just for the record, I thought I would show how I rigged up the engine for transport to the rebuilder. It is actually quite stable. I added another strap across the front of the engine that isn't shown in this picture, so the engine should not be able to shift towards the front or the back during transport.

Engine Transport.jpg

You have a good hold of it there tst! Cinch it down tight and drive careful! Slide it all the way up to the bulkhead just in case something causes a rapid stop. If that thing gets loose it will slide forward with some serious force. You don't want it to have a running start, it could end up inside the cab!

The ring gear on the flywheel is junk. Do not run that gear. Have the shop change out the gear for you when they resurface it. It isn't a difficult thing to do once you have done it a few times. Changing the gear does have its little quirks.

I had one bad spot on my flywheel ring gear and I thought well I'll clean it up and reuse it. I contemplated several times. I even have a new ring gear for it. I put it back together with the old one and the cleaned up spot. Low and behold the motor just loves to stop on that bad spot every time! That forces me into a "technique" for getting the gears to engage to start. To replace it now requires dropping the transmission, pulling the clutch, removing the flywheel and doing it right by replacing the worn gear.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-21-2021 at 06:52 AM.

I agree 100% with Bmorgil. Cutting corners causes issues almost every time.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm definitely not going to cut corners at this point. Don't want to leave anything to chance unless it is something the is easily replaced and fixed, i.e. easy access.

We complain about how all of the little things we find make the project take longer and cost more - what we don't appreciate is how many headaches we avoided later on by fixing things right the first time.

I'd check the teeth on the Bendix as well - the Bendix and ring gear might not match; there are subtleties about tooth count on Bendix drives and ring gears that often get people into trouble.

You're doing well - carry on!

Thanks, LarrBeard. You're right about not appreciating how many problems you can avoid by doing things right the first time. I did look at the Bendix gear when I took the starter out and it is worn down as well, so I knew I would be replacing that before the starter goes on again. Funny thing about the Bendix is that I remember replacing that way back when I was 16, nearly 40 years ago. My Dad was impressed at the time that I could figure out what was wrong and then replace it and get things going again. Oh...to go back to those days!