Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

Thanks, LarrBeard! At least now I know I'm not crazy concerning losing posts made to this thread previously. I got to questioning myself if I ever posted things or if I just imagined it.

I've done a bit of internet searching so far and I haven't really found anyone locally here in the Denver area that specializes in Jeep engine rebuilds, at least on Jeep engines of this era. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the estimate on the engine rebuild. I had no real idea how much it might cost.

Checked compression last night on the engine. 90 psi, 5, 75, and 90 when "dry". Added oil and the 5 went to 10 and the 75 went to 85. Looks like engine work is in my immediate future.

"Checked compression last night on the engine. 90 psi, 5, 75, and 90 when "dry"."

It will be interesting to see what is in the 5# hole. That looks like something broken (valve, piston), not just worn. The 90# readings are not up to snuff, but there are a lot of 90# engines still perking about out there.

90 will work in a cold engine, the 75 isn't way off. You really have to warm them up to get a good idea of the pressure. The big thing is the amount of pumps to get the number and the difference as it pumps up. The Universal Service Manual has the best written procedure I have seen on this subject. Takes you back to the very basics.

Now the 5? I also can't wait to see that one. It does look like your off to the machine shop soon! I think you would find the tear down within your capability. If you have the Universal Service Manual (I sound like a salesman) follow it step by step. The engine can be torn down in the engine bay or out, Some basic hand tools will get it done. A dirty, grimy fantastic experience for a mechanic at heart.

I promise you, you will learn much, much more from the tear down and failure analysis, than any other thing you will do (as a mechanic or engineer).

I like the Universal Service Manual as well. I have yet to encounter anything that wasn’t in it. I think the military manuals are even better because the Army understood that just because they called a person a mechanic it wasn’t necessarily true. Same info, just presented a little different and sometimes with a little more detail.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Now we both sound like the Service Manual Salesmen! I would use that manual to teach a class. It is really easy to follow and spot on. I did find the procedure for disassembling the water pump was incorrect. A few have bumped into that one. It will cost you a pulley if you follow it! There are a few links in the "Tech Library Section" here to the Military TM9- manuals. They definitely step you through.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-29-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Government TI manuals were, and still are designed and written for the average 18 year old with an 8th grade education.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I do have the Universal Service Manual and have been reading it quite thoroughly. My Dad purchased it probably back in the 70s so it is a little worn and some pages falling out, but it is still usable! I think I have convinced myself that I could tear this engine down. I'm not a bad mechanic for most things so I think I could do OK. It's the rebuild that I have concerns about. I'm also a mechanical engineer, so that could be dangerous as well!

But, one way or another, I will need to get the engine pulled out, so that is the next step, I suppose. I need to acquire an engine stand. I can borrow an engine hoist, but will need something to put the engine on once it is out.

You mean you have an original service manual? Oh man that is the greatest way to get in the nostalgia groove! I have a reprint. I wanted to find an original that had some grease on it. Typically the photo's are much better and the history is pressed in. Having the OG manual or even a reprint that my Dad purchased would just keep me grinning!

A Mechanical Engineer must tear down his own engine, there must be a law somewhere about that. I am now quite confident that you will have no problem tearing it down and determining what went wrong. For a stand, you will have a tough time beating this price on the link below, on a stand with 4 casters instead of 3. I would always try to stick to a 4 caster stand. A 3 will also work for you but don't pay more than $50 for it. Usually you can find a used one for pretty cheap. The little motor isn't that heavy.

All that aside, you will note in the service manual they tear it down on a work bench. An engine stand is much easier however. You should be able to rent an engine hoist fairly cheap. Make sure you have the motor ready to come out before you rent it. To transport to the shop you may want to go there and ask them for an engine pallet to bring the motor to them. If you find a shop that is warm and accommodating, they should be happy to help you get the motor to them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Engine%20Stand
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-30-2021 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    You mean you have an original service manual? Oh man that is the greatest way to get in the nostalgia groove! I have a reprint. I wanted to find an original that had some grease on it. Typically the photo's are much better and the history is pressed in. Having the OG manual or even a reprint that my Dad purchased would just keep me grinning!

A Mechanical Engineer must tear down his own engine, there must be a law somewhere about that. I am now quite confident that you will have no problem tearing it down and determining what went wrong. For a stand, you will have a tough time beating this price on the link below, on a stand with 4 casters instead of 3. I would always try to stick to a 4 caster stand. A 3 will also work for you but don't pay more than $50 for it. Usually you can find a used one for pretty cheap. The little motor isn't that heavy.

All that aside, you will note in the service manual they tear it down on a work bench. An engine stand is much easier however. You should be able to rent an engine hoist fairly cheap. Make sure you have the motor ready to come out before you rent it. To transport to the shop you may want to go there and ask them for an engine pallet to bring the motor to them. If you find a shop that is warm and accommodating, they should be happy to help you get the motor to them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Engine%20Stand
    Test1328
    If you can get on Facebook Marketplace there are a bunch of 4 caster engine stands near you within a 20 mile radius for $50.00 or less that would suit you perfect.