Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

Good to hear its still moving along. It seems like everything is at the mercy of the "Global Supply Chain Issue"! I hope you get the time to prep the engine bay for that like new motor. Coaching baseball is the best time of your life, for sure savor it.

Thanks! We sure do enjoy baseball. I've got two boys who play on the school Varsity baseball team and I'm an assistant coach. The HS season is over now, so I can relax a bit. The boys' summer club teams started playing games today, so at least I can just go watch them and not have to coach. I've only got two more years before both boys are out of school, so I'm doing my best to enjoy the ride while it lasts!

Time flies by in just a blink of an eye. My eldest will be a senior in high school this coming school year. Hard to believe that it seems like just yesterday she was toddling around and eating Cheerios.

Time flies for sure! Kids and those Cheerios. The perfect pacifier.

Coaching and Jeep Work

Enjoy the time with the boys. The Jeep can wait - they can't. I'm very lucky - my kids and grandkids are past the coaching stage, but I've ended up as coach for a Junior High Power Shooting Team. Real rifles, not fancy air guns. I have five kids and they keep me hopping. I'm almost 78, but they make me feel either 65 or 100 depending on the day.

Here is a picture of my "Glamour Girls" and in case you wonder if they can shoot - here is a target the little blonde assassin shot at 200 yards, slow fire prone ---fifteen shots, all in the 10-ring with 7X.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's awesome, Larrbeard! You're lucky to be able to spend that quality time with your grandkids. And the target shows that you've taught her well!

I'm a shooter myself, but have only ever shot a few competitive matches so that I could buy a Garand from the CMP. That was years ago. I'm more of a hunter, but I sure do like to shoot and reload. My kids (1 daughter and 2 boys) all shoot, but my daughter isn't too into it and my boys would rather play baseball and other sports than shoot. My oldest boy does love to hunt, so at least I have him to go with me most times. Here's a quick pic of his first antelope buck in 2018. He's grown up quite a bit since then and helped me pack an elk out a few years ago.

Frank w Antelope.jpg

You two are providing what a lot of parents are missing now-a-days. There is a lot of life to live outside, without a "smart" phone. Interesting how stupid a "smart" phone can make someone.

Well, thought I would get back to you folks after not having much to say for quite awhile. Summer, baseball, helping my senior folks out, all added up to little progress on the Jeep. I'm hoping to make a bit more headway in the near future.

Currently, I've rebuilt the Master Cylinder as well as the steering gear box. Had to buy a new outer steering column tube since the old one had a hole worn through it from one of the pedals rubbing on it for so long. I've cleaned up the area where these two mount to the frame and need to get it prepped for primer/paint before I reinstall these items. I want to get them installed before I get the engine put back in since they are so hard to access otherwise.

I am expecting my engine back from the rebuilder any day. It was mostly done the last time I stopped over. I dropped off the Oil filter housing and new hoses and new filter so he can prime the engine before he finishes up. Hopefully within a week or so I'll have it back. It has now been over a year since I dropped it off. The supply chain has really messed up his production. Constantly waiting for parts. He did show me the cracked camshaft thrust plate that he found. He had just got in the new one when I was over there.

I also took my radiator and heater core into a Radiator Repair shop and the guy did a great job in repairing all the small pin-hole leaks he found and pressure testing everything. He also painted the radiator. I didn't have him straighten all the fins and make it show room ready since I'm not going for a complete restoration off the show room floor look. A-1 Radiator off of Federal Blvd. in Denver is the place.

I do have a question for you guys, though. I want to open up the front diff and take a look and make sure all is good before I put the engine back in and wanted to know what to look for? I do know that I need to replace the pinion shaft oil seal since it appears to be leaking. Do you guys also put in a new pinion seal gasket at the same time? Primarily, I want to know what I should check once I get the cover off to make sure all is good before I button it back up. I don't want to take things apart that don't need to be taken apart, but I also don't want to leave something questionable inside while I have things open. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

One other question that I wanted to run by you: The front bumper on the passenger side is bent inward, toward the front right tire. It is maybe at a 20-30 degree angle. I've been wondering how I'm going to straighten this out? Do you think if I heat it enough with a torch that I could just easily bend it back straight? If I do that, I suppose that it would anneal the steel and wouldn't be as strong in that location anymore. But, does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? I can't see that I can remove the front bumper without drilling out rivets, which I certainly don't want to do. Any other thoughts on how I could get this bumper straightened out? Thanks!

It sounds like you are making great progress! Nice find on the radiator shop. gmwillys or one of the guys who do metal work will have some thoughts on the bumper I am sure.

On the axle, take the cover off the axle and drain the lube. Loosen all the bolts but the top ones and then slowly loosen the top while you break the bottom loose. You want to try to see what comes out first. If there is a lot of water, that will be the first thing out. Look at the condition of the lube for contaminate. Take a good look at the teeth on the ring gear. Here is a link to a Spicer failure analysis manual https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...-0020-Dec-2015 This should be helpful. I would inspect the ring gear and pinion backlash. If it is out of specification by more than a few thousandths of an inch, You may want to tear it down and put in new bearings. If the front seal is being replaced and the cover is off, you aren't far from a full tear down.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-28-2022 at 07:14 PM.