Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

You are welcome t, I enjoy the machine shop experience the most. I am sick that way!

Well, it's a good thing for guys like me that there are "sick" guys like you out there to help us out with this stuff! I was just thinking that getting the engine out, apart, and to the machine shop will be my wintertime activity since I won't have a bunch of sports (other than basketball games) to be attending for my boys who are in high school. I'm sure I'm like most when I think about always wishing I had more time to do the things I enjoy. At least I now have the Jeep in the shop and will have a decent place to work on it when the weather is bad. I also picked up the engine stand today that a friend at work gave to me. Said he had two and was looking to get rid of one to free up space. So, at least some progress is being made. Once hunting season is over, I can start in on it in earnest. After hunting season is over, I'll be driving my 1983 CJ5 down to my place. At least that one runs!

"... there are "sick" guys like you ..."

Yep, that's us - just don't leave out "and twisted" when you describe us.

"... there are "sick" guys like you ..."

Yep, that's us - just don't leave out "and twisted" when you describe us.

Don’t forget the”obsessed” part either guy’s

And the sick, twisted and obsessed have been known to infect others!

Your on your way now t, I am hoping those athletes of yours get real interested in that Jeep you are going to leave them. The beauty of this hobby is the way it waits for you.

Funny you say that about my boys, bm! The CJ is now in my shop which also houses their weight/workout facility. So it is crimping their style a bit. But, my oldest boy likes to show off his weight facility when he has friends over. Up until this point, he didn't really have much interest in what I was doing with the Jeep. But after his friends left, he let me know that his friends thought the Jeep was really cool and he started asking me more questions about it, what year it was, and what I was going to do with it. So...maybe I've planted a seed. Most teenagers these days have little interest in cars, I've found, at least not like when I was growing up. I think that our modern vehicles have become so reliable, when compared to the older vehicles, that they don't get a chance to see anyone work on anything any more, so they don't get a chance to learn much. I'm hoping maybe I can change that a bit and the boys will appreciate what goes into it once they see me working on it.

OK, for all you sick, twisted, and obsessed guys out there:
    As I prepare to remove the engine from the vehicle, do you care to share any precautions or things to make sure I do or don't do before I start? Any typical stumbling blocks to look out for or special "tricks" you've used in problem areas? I'd certainly like to learn from your experience and not make any rookie mistakes if I don't have to. I'd also like to minimize banging my head against the wall during the process. This is one area where the Universal manual doesn't really seem to be of much help, from what I've been able to see. Thanks!

Test good for you and your boys!!!
    Rule #1 you Will make mistakes no matter what any of us tell you, that’s a Jeep Thing!!!
    Rule #2 you Will bang your head against the wall that’s another Jeep thing trust me!!!
    Rule #3 post as many pictures and ask as many questions as you want cause that’s not really a Jeep thing but we would like to know for our own experiences so we don’t make mistakes and bang our heads against the wall
    As for your boys, it sounds like you’ve done a Great job leading by example so all I can say is keep it up and they will follow one day and get Sick, Twisted and Obsessed Promise!!!
    Love your story!
    Last edited by TJones; 10-07-2021 at 05:18 AM.

At this point t you are at the crossroad. How far are you going? For instance if you intend to take the body off, it is pretty easy to do anything. If the body is staying on, the transfercase and transmission can be dropped out (wile supporting the back of the motor) all hooked together, by dropping them out together. The driveshafts are removed then the transmission can be unbolted from the motor. The cross-member can then be unbolted and you can slide the assembly back and drop the whole thing out. This leaves the motor in a pretty easy situation to pull. Or the radiator and even the grill can be removed and the engine can be unbolted from the transmission and slid forward.

The biggest mistake most make is they simply miss something that is still hooked up. Wires, accelerator linkage, fuel lines etc all need to be disconnected or you will find them as hoist yanks them apart! You can also disassemble it in the vehicle. You can get it torn all the way down to the block and crank. I would support the engine in the rear, pull the transfercase/transmission assembly first as a unit, support the engine in the rear, and pull the radiator, and pull it out assembled. From there it should come out without issue. Remove the flywheel before you put the motor on the stand. Tear down will be easier on the stand.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-07-2021 at 07:40 AM.

The bad thing about dropping the transmission and transfer case together for me is they would not come out from under the Jeep while on my jack. My tires are 32 inch diameter. I am not sure how I will put them back. In my youth I would slide the part from the ground and onto my chest then bench press it into place but those days are long behind me. I may have to use a jack to raise the Jeep enough to roll the transmission jack loaded with the transfer case and transmission back under the frame.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A