Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

"I generally start shopping the internet after learning something isn’t available locally."

A typical example: I needed some pieces and parts from my local Fastenal. They were not in stock locally, so I asked what would be the lead time to get them. The local store said "a week to ten days, depending on when we have enough to justify an order to our regional warehouse". I decided "… Thanks, but no thanks".

I went to Fastenal on the internet and found the parts I needed. They were in stock at the site I found, so I ordered them from that particular location (Indianapolis). I ordered them about noon on a Tuesday and they were on the doorstep Thursday afternoon – a lot quicker that a week or ten days. The shipping was about what I would have spent on 2 gallons of gas to wander all over town and back.

I would have loved to buy locally, but when it isn’t there, ya’ gotta’ do what ya’ gotta’ do.

Been a long time since I last was on here. I've been doing a few things here and there, but it's been quite slow on the progress. A couple things to mention to catch up.

1. Finally got the engine back from the builder. Looks good, all cleaned up and ready to roll. Included the new clutch and new ring gear on the flywheel. Still working on the front end and want to get that done before I proceed with putting the engine in.
    2. Been spending my time on the drivers side front springs. When I went to remove the spring, I found that the bolt holding the spring in the shackle was rusted so bad that I could not remove it from the spring eye. Therefore, I had to cut the bolt off to get the spring off. After that, I found that the shackle on the rear of the front spring was worn significantly and too much (in my opinion) to keep using. Therefore, I needed to remove it. As you know, they are riveted to the frame. Mine are also welded to the frame. So, I had to cut that shackle off, which was a chore in itself. However, I did get it off and then ordered a new one to install. I finally got it installed and bolted on, but I wanted to weld it on as well since these do take a lot of abuse when off-road. I'm not a welder, but have a friend! He finally was able to come over and we got it welded to the frame, just like the original. Here are a few pics of the old shackle showing the wear:

IMG20240120120300.jpg
    IMG20240120120308.jpg

3. While my friend was over, he also helped me use the oxy/acetylene torch to heat my passenger side front bumper up and get it bent back as close to straight as possible. We could have taken more pains to make it "perfect" but I decided that I didn't need perfect and having it corrected was sufficient for my needs.

So, now, I just need to get the spring back on and then I can finish up the front end with new shocks, new king pin bearings, get the axles in, close up the front diff, and get the brakes back on. I also need to get the steering box and links installed as well as the master cylinder. Lots to do yet as I work my way backwards on this vehicle.

It's good to see you making forward progress. You made a good call in changing out the perches. When in doubt, change it out is a good practice especially when you plan to work your Jeep.

It is moving along! Its a regular Genesis Project putting these things back together. You are going to love wheeling around in something you brought back.

Finally got the front knuckles installed and got the drivers side spindle, brake plate and brakes installed. See pics below.

IMG20240211155233.jpg

IMG20240211155247.jpg

One question I have is on the brake adjustment. I know the shoes are supposed to be adjusted using the eccentric. What I'm not seeing in the manual is exactly how to adjust the brakes? Does anyone have a reference or can you tell me how they are supposed to be adjusted correctly? And one other thing: You can see I put the larger shoe towards the front. I seem to recall there being a discussion about this. Is that correct?

Thanks!

That's looking great!

There should be a nut on the back of the eccentric that you can turn with a wrench. Since the shaft is off-set as it turns it will push the shoes outward. The way I was always taught was to keep turning each side with the drum on until they just slightly drag. I believe that's what your asking? Hope it helps.

Also I believe you are correct on the larger shoe towards the front. Those look like 9 inch drums, if so it's the same as mine, which had larger in the front. There was a discussion about this a while back. I think Bmorgil had alot of info on this.

You could almost use three hands to adjust the brakes. I found that a 3/4" Snap on offset boxed wrench, (for having a deep enough off set to clear the backer plate) a ratcheting 7/16" wrench, a pair of vise grips, and a feeler gage to set the shoe clearance. The opening in the face of the drum is for your feeler gage. You end up working back and forth from the top and bottom to get the correct happy medium, then torque the crap out of it so it stays. My upper adjusters were rounded off so I had to use the vise grips to hold the eccentric bolt. I ordered new lower eccentrics but not the upper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-13-2024 at 01:45 AM.

Last edited by bmorgil; 02-13-2024 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks for the help guys! Good info here. Should be a breeze to adjust them properly, although I'm not sure that my drums have the access hole in them for doing the feeler gauge type of adjustment.

"Should be a breeze to adjust them properly ..."

Probably not, but you'll get it done and you'll be a lot wiser when you finish. You'll probably have at least one skinned knuckle invested in it ....