Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Hello all! Great forum here. I’ve already learned a lot by poking around and having my newb questions answered in my intro thread so thanks for that!

I’m not much of a wordsmith so I’ll try to keep that to a minimum…

After years of lusting after an “army Jeep” (since I was a child actually) I finally decided it was time to make a dream come true. I have many varied interests from woodworking to hot rods, vintage dirtbikes, vintage pickups etc. so I’m no stranger to the fun of major projects! This one will be no exception but hey it keeps me out of the bars!

A few months ago I made a deal on this pile of parts. My buddy agreed to help me go grab it from Nebraska (we are in Kansas.) He is versed in Jeeps and has a ‘45(?) GPW so he has been a big help in the push to finally get my own.

(To be continued)
    Last edited by Mike P; 12-14-2022 at 07:32 PM.

I’m not sure how the forum works as far as pics and stuff. I’ll try to put some here from the day I got it home. Still a lot of OD green hiding under several paint jobs and gobs of undercoating. All together pretty solid though! (My buddy is jealous, ha!)

*edit* sorry about the sideways pics. I guess the forum doesn’t like the vertical iPhone pics?
    Last edited by Mike P; 12-10-2022 at 12:38 PM.

We all have a heck of a time with the "sideways pics". I sure cant figure t out. Keep posting pic's, we live for them! Your project looks like it is time for a resurrection. I cant wait to watch it grow. Lots of pictures Mike! You will find your project a great time. There is a lot of information available on the vintage Jeeps. Definitely check out the g503.com web site. There is a lot on that site about the aspects of your military specimen. gmwillys on this site is also very good with a lot of the military stuff.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-10-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Mike,

Looks like a good start on a worthwhile project. Please do not hesitate to ask all the questions you may have. We do enjoy seeing lots of photos to go along with the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    We all have a heck of a time with the "sideways pics". I sure cant figure t out. Keep posting pic's, we live for them! Your project looks like it is time for a resurrection. I cant wait to watch it grow. Lots of pictures Mike! You will find your project a great time. There is a lot of information available on the vintage Jeeps. Definitely check out the g503.com web site. There is a lot on that site about the aspects of your military specimen. gmwillys on this site is also very good with a lot of the military stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Mike,

Looks like a good start on a worthwhile project. Please do not hesitate to ask all the questions you may have. We do enjoy seeing lots of photos to go along with the questions.
    Thanks fellas! Yes my buddy turned me on to that G503 site as well. Trying to soak up all the info I can find on the webernets , ha!

I’m hoping starting this thread will keep me honest and progressing with the project. I tend to take lots of pics so be prepared!

The only way I have found to guarantee a properly orientated picture is to post it from a computer. It seems like every picture I take and post using my phone ends up rotated on the internet. It doesn’t seem to matter how I hold the phone when taking the pictures.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff, I remember going through this with you before. I think your right, you discovered it is a "phone" thing.

Mike, in addition to posting pics in the thread, you can also start up a Photo Gallery. It ill give you a good spot too keep all your shots.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/album.php

I’m going to try to remember to take pics in landscape mode if I think I will be posting them. Those seem to work.

What do you mean by “landscape mode”? Is that an Android thing? I don’t see that option on my iPhone.

Picture orientation comes up a lot in forums. I think the pictures get messed up when taken and posted with a phone in all of the forums I participate in. It would be nice to find a fix. One guy said he uses the editor on the phone to rotate the pictures 360 degrees prior to posting. I haven’t tried it myself.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    What do you mean by “landscape mode”? Is that an Android thing? I don’t see that option on my iPhone.

Picture orientation comes up a lot in forums. I think the pictures get messed up when taken and posted with a phone in all of the forums I participate in. It would be nice to find a fix. One guy said he uses the editor on the phone to rotate the pictures 360 degrees prior to posting. I haven’t tried it myself.
    Sorry. By landscape mode I just mean holding the phone horizontally to take pictures. Those pictures seem to post correctly for some reason? (Now that I’ve said that they probably won’t, ha!)