Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

Hybrid View

Thanks for your help, guys! Much appreciated. I'll get a better look at the brakes as soon as I can. My plan all along was to trailer it home. It's a 2 hour drive over a few passes so I don't intend to drive it. I really just want to be able to stop when I put it on the trailer and then when I get it into my shop. And, assuming I can put it into low range, I know I won't be going too very fast, so up to this point I really wasn't worried about brakes, figuring I could get it to stop if I put a few blocks down. I might still do that if the brake issue is very bad. But, if it turns out that the brake issue is relatively minor, I may try to do something with it.

Regarding a tow bar or two wheel car dolly, I hadn't considered doing that since I was somewhat concerned about the wheel bearings being dry and causing me problems on the way. Would you guys be concerned with that or not? Sounds like you've got some experience doing this on older Jeeps, so maybe I'm worrying needlessly?

I like your caution and your approach. I agree on the bearings. Trailering it would be my preferred way for a 2 hour mountain ride. If it was just a hop across town at low speed I would be very tempted to pull or push it. I would remove the driveshafts, roll it and listen for any sound that wasn't "normal". A trailer is the best way to go with unknowns. My luck a leaf spring would break and stop all the fun!

When you are sure of the bearings and general mechanical condition, with a tow bar and locking front hubs, you can tow bar them anywhere. Just unlock the front hubs and remove the rear driveshaft. They will roll forever, like a trailer with a windshield. Every now and then you will see a CJ stuck to the back of an R.V..
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-24-2021 at 12:29 PM.