Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

Well, I guess you guys have convinced me to move it forward. I will try to do the engine and I've got enough knowledgeable people here on this site and that I know personally that I'm sure can get me through the process.

I asked a buddy here at work today if he had an engine stand or knew anyone that wanted to get rid of one and it turns out he had one that he was looking to get rid of. So, I guess we're in business. It will most likely be a slow process, but no one said I was in a hurry!

I play the part of a quality engineer, so I know you'll have no issues in rebuilding your engine. The 134 is pretty basic, and as long as you follow your Dad's manual, you'll do just fine.

Taking your time is the best part. No pressure, you can't wait till its done, but its your own time schedule. This is where perfection and attention to detail are born. The tear down will be enjoyable for you. I cant wait to see what happened in that cylinder. Take lots of photos when it comes apart t, we live precariously through you guy's!

Have you found your machine shop yet? what part of the country are you in? Someone on the forum may have a "Guy".

Have you found your machine shop yet? what part of the country are you in? Someone on the forum may have a "Guy".[/QUOTE]

In a previous thread he mentioned the Denver area bmorgil

In a previous thread he mentioned the Denver area bmorgil

There you go here's what I am talking about on this site, I just got kicked off and logged back in and I'll be da*^ed if it didn't post twice.

We will get the bugs worked out on the site, I never give up.

I have heard a few good things about these boy's. McCabe Motorsports in Colorado Springs or All Pro in Denver (a small call for appointment shop). They are High Performance Shops. That can mean a little more cost but, typically the HP shops are going to do it right and not cut corners. All Pro specializes in the older motors. If these guys cant help you they can point you in the right direction. You can always ship it to a shop that knows the Go-Devil well. I have one near me that does a few Go-Devils a year. I have also heard about some other shops in the Denver area that are not so good. Once you find a shop, a visit will tell you a lot about them. First and foremost ask are they familiar with the Go-Devil engine? It has a few little secrets but nothing a quality shop wont be able to handle. Do they have a few engines running around a local track doing well? Do they do classic engines? This is the one thing about assembling yourself. I check everything they do. It takes some very precise and expensive tools to check the machine shops work however, and I have paid dearly for those tools over the years. If it is a good shop and they are assembling engines, I would say your in the right place.

Thanks, guys. Yes, I'm in the Denver area, Broomfield, to be specific, so the north part of the Denver metro area. But I don't mind traveling a bit for the right shop and CO Springs isn't that far, really. I'll check both shops out and see how much it will cost.

As I said, I'm not much of an engine guy, so can you tell me what exactly I should be asking these shops to do for me? Once I get the engine out of the vehicle, all the add-on parts like the generator, radiator, carb, etc. will come come off or already be off prior to pulling the engine. Then, how much further should I be taking the engine down and which parts should I be transporting to the shop? Thanks for the help and guidance.

And, yes, I do intend to take lots of pictures and will share them with you once I get going.

The shop will be able to tell you a lot. Once you tear it down completely, everything apart down to the lifters and the valve spring keepers in your hand. Put all the parts in HD baggies and mark the spots they came from with a card in the baggie (this will save you money). The shop will need to clean it and measure everything to see what it actually needs. I would expect:

A) Removal of the cam bearing and all plugs and a thorough hot tank cleaning of everything

1) The Crankshaft needs to be ground on the mains and the rods
    2) The rods should be re-sized and all new bots and nuts installed
    3) The block will need to be bored and finish honed
    4) The deck should be surfaced to flat and the head should be surfaced to flat
    5) The valve seats need to be reconditioned and if not hardened, install hardened exhaust seats
    6) The valves need to be checked for wear and reconditioned or replaced
    7) The valve guides need to be checked for wear and reconditioned or replaced
    8) The main bearing cap alignment and size needs to be checked and honed if needed
    9) The camshaft bearing needs to be installed
    10) The camshaft needs to be checked for wear (some shops cant do this)
    11) The lifter bottoms need to be checked for wear
    12) Install new soft plugs ( I prefer brass)

A lot depends on what they find.

There are a few more things of course, and I am sure I forgot something, but these are the things you will pay for. The rest depends on who will assemble it. Clean the big hunks off of it to be nice to the shop guy. You are going to bring him a disassembled cylinder head with the parts in baggies. A torn down block with the pistons and rod assemblies out with the main and rod caps back on in their original locations and snugged. The crankshaft, and the camshaft and lifters. Do not mix up the lifters. Make sure you know which lifter came from which camshaft lobe. If you bring the oil pan and valve cover ask him if he will hot tank them also.

If you have the money, have them balance the rotating assembly. The little motor has a long stroke. A good balance will smooth it out when your running 50.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-04-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Wow. Thanks so much for the list, bmorgil! Lots of stuff that I have no idea about or that I would need to do, so this is a tremendous help. I'll be sure to store this list away so I don't lose it in the event that we lose posts here again.