Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

Here's another question for you. In disconnecting the wiring in various places within the engine compartment, I've run across several of these cylindrical looking things. The cylinder I'm talking about is in the upper left portion of the attached. Are these just fusible links? I would assume so, but wasn't sure.

Wiring.jpg

Also, can you find replacements for these if you trace it to one that is blown?

Also, I've removed the distributor prior to removing the engine. However, when I deliver the engine to the guy who is rebuilding it for me, will he need the distributor? Will he need the plug wires? I wouldn't think he would try to start it, but I just don't know. Thanks!

[QUOTE=test1328;18352]Here's another question for you. In disconnecting the wiring in various places within the engine compartment, I've run across several of these cylindrical looking things. The cylinder I'm talking about is in the upper left portion of the attached. Are these just fusible links? I would assume so, but wasn't sure.

Wiring.jpg

Yes Sir those are fusible links, and yes you can get them at any O’riellys or Napa auto parts stores

Quote Originally Posted by test1328 View Post
    Also, I've removed the distributor prior to removing the engine. However, when I deliver the engine to the guy who is rebuilding it for me, will he need the distributor? Will he need the plug wires? I wouldn't think he would try to start it, but I just don't know. Thanks!
    More than likely he wouldn’t need the distributor or the wires T

It all depends on what your engine builder is doing for you. He should be able to deliver it to you read to run with the distributor wires and plugs all in. Usually all you need to do is fill it with oil. If you asked him to provide it to you ready to start, he would need the plug wires, coil, rebuilt carburetor all of it. You might ask him to provide it to you this way. It should be in time and ready to hook up and fire. He doesn't need to start it to have it ready to start. The timing can be set statically with the engine off. Here's an L-head almost ready to run, no carburetor.

Be sure to have the distributor checked out and rebuilt if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-04-2021 at 09:25 AM.

A comment from the peanut gallery:

I'd let him have the distributor so he can set static timing. Getting the distributor drive gear on the right tooth on the camshaft driving gear can sometimes make us use a lot of words from our shop vocabulary.

The coil, plugs and wire are "OK" but not a lot of work either way.

I agree on having the static timing set, and the oil pump set. It can give you headaches if the oil pump is installed, then trying to drop the distributor. The oil pump drive is offset, so it only goes on the distributor one way, so it would have to be pure luck to drop it in and everything meshes perfectly.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-06-2021 at 09:28 AM.

You guys are right on about the distributor, I guess I wasn’t thinking about how much of a PITA it is to get the timing and oil pump all lined up together it is on those motors.
    My Buick motor is pretty simple to get them all synced up to slide together, get the timing right and a long screwdriver to turn the slot on the oil pump to just the right sweet spot to slide into the end of the distributor and your running.
    That’s why you guys are called “Super Moderators”

[QUOTE=TJones;18355]
    Quote Originally Posted by test1328 View Post
    Here's another question for you. In disconnecting the wiring in various places within the engine compartment, I've run across several of these cylindrical looking things. The cylinder I'm talking about is in the upper left portion of the attached. Are these just fusible links? I would assume so, but wasn't sure.

Wiring.jpg

Yes Sir those are fusible links, and yes you can get them at any O’riellys or Napa auto parts stores
    Thanks, TJ. Is there any way to figure out what Amp rating these fusible links are, sort of like fuses? I haven't tried to clean any up and I don't know that I actually have a problem one and need to replace it, I'm just wondering.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    It all depends on what your engine builder is doing for you. He should be able to deliver it to you read to run with the distributor wires and plugs all in. Usually all you need to do is fill it with oil. If you asked him to provide it to you ready to start, he would need the plug wires, coil, rebuilt carburetor all of it. You might ask him to provide it to you this way. It should be in time and ready to hook up and fire. He doesn't need to start it to have it ready to start. The timing can be set statically with the engine off. Here's an L-head almost ready to run, no carburetor.

Be sure to have the distributor checked out and rebuilt if needed.
    bmorgil, that L-head looks amazing! Very cool.

How do you check out the distributor to make sure it is good?