Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 CJ5 Resto Restart Info

The poly bushing is allowing the sleeve to "float" in the bushing. More than likely, yours has been rubbing for long before the poly bushings were drove in. I like the greaseable M38A1 front shackles that have a threaded bushing and rubber seals to keep out garbage. If you go this route, antisieze is your friend for installation of the threaded bushings for future removal.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...g-52-71-m38a1/
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/product...8a1-greasable/

Just a progress report. I got the Dana 25 put back together. Rotational torque on the pinion ended up at 20 in. lbs. Backlash and runout were good, within specs. I expected this since I didn't take the carrier bearings off, reused the bearings and races. Got the pinion seal in. Of course, all of this was done after removing all dirt/grease, applying the Corroseal rust converter/primer, and painting. I'm happy with the result. Here are a few pics.

IMG20230416161535.jpg IMG20230416161525.jpg IMG20230416161453.jpg

Also, thought I would add a pic of the frame serial number stamping that matches the ID plate on the firewall. I colored over the stamping so it would be easier to read.
    IMG20230416141559.jpg

After almost 16 months, I'm supposed to go pick up my rebuilt engine this week. It has been extremely slow and frustrating. I truly believe the guy doing the work is the right guy for the job, but I'm sure my engine took a back seat to others. For an estimated completion duration of 6-8 week to turn into 16 months, something was going on. I'm just hoping it comes out as good as possible. I'll post pics once I get it. I'm pretty excited to see it. Should have all new parts that I supplied already installs, like the clutch, ring gear, and oil filter hoses.

It looks like what a Dana 25 should look like ... NICE!

"6-8 week to turn into 16 months"

And the engine job .. "COVID"

Thanks, Larry. Yeah, the COVID thing was definitely a factor. Not being able to get parts when he needed them was a common theme when I talked to him.

We know where to find most parts, but rebuilders have their own preferred sources and many times their preferred sources for small block Chevy parts come up as a blank when we ask them to find a set of +0.010 main bearings for a 1947 Willys L-134.

Say Whaaaat???

If a builder will accept it, it is quicker if we provide them with a major overhaul kit from KWAS and just let them find the odd-parts.

But, too soon we get old -- too late we get smatrt.

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head. I offered to get whatever parts he needed for him or at least tell him where he could find them, but he didn't want my help. And, as you say, I think his normal sources weren't much help.

Oh well, I wasn't in a hurry anyways!

The rebuilders prefer that they order the parts for a couple of reasons;

1) They know what they are getting, (if a bearing or component fails, it is their reputation that is on the line, and they do not make money on rework).

2) They can mark up the parts from their supplier pricing, so they can make a bit more on the job.

Parts shortages are the name of the game these days. A lot of our production parts are long lead time pieces. We are still suffering the effects of Covid, and will continue to for the foreseeable future. We were considered essential workers, but our suppliers were not.

The supply situation is hit and miss for sure. We have been waiting months for parts for a performance engine build on a Bronco. Everything seems to be on a build it when they order it system. So when you order, your in line.

It doesn’t help that no one seems to be stocking parts anymore. Parts stores can’t afford to sit on inventory that does not move so they order it when you ask for it. I love my local NAPA but I usually have to pick up my parts a day or two after I decide I need them. Occasionally I have to drive to another town or pay shipping because the part isn’t in the warehouse. The latest example for me was the transfer case shift rail seal I needed. 25 miles to the next NAPA.

I generally start shopping the internet after learning something isn’t available locally. Buying from the internet doesn’t help my local economy and it needs all the help it can get.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A