Thread: What do I have?

Threaded View

What do I have?

I've been mildly looking for a "green" Jeep. I don't care about authenticity. Just wanted a "military" Jeep that is driveable and will be driven. Found and bought one last week. But I can't tell exactly what I have. It was sold to me as a 1970 Kaiser-Jeep CJ5. Drivetrain is original, 4 cylinder Hurricane motor. 24 volt system. Runs good considering its lack of use for the last 51 years. Transfer case and transmission are mildly leaking and there is a good chance they have never been apart. Engine needs a tune up at least but actually runs good. Body is in good condition with 3 thumbnail sized rust spots and one area that looks like bondo. Again, I have no intention of making it perfect but I will re-paint it the correct green and put a star on it(and will probably add "MILITARY POLICE" below the windshield, US ARMY and my dads military ID on the hood and front or rear bumper will say PANAMA CANAL ZONE, where my dad served as an MP)

Here are my questions. Fuel fill is in the wrong place(right rear) which is one of the confusing issues. There is a new fuel tank under the rear. Everything I can find about a 1970 CJ5 has the spare tire on the right rear and fuel fill left of the driver to an underseat gas tank. It doesn't have a VIN, has a chassis number and I cannot tell what the last 5 digits are telling me....if anything. Plates are in German or Dutch? Note the battery box under the windshielf. The owner didn't know a lot about it. He thinks it was built to be delivered to another country but it never left the US. He thinks the mileage might be original. He bought it to drive in parades. Based on the pictures and info, can anyone tell me more specifically what it is? Either way, it will fit my need so before someone tells me it isn't authentic.....I already know. And don't care.

First task is to get the carb off and rebuilt. Tune up. Then have to address the transfer case and transmission. Windshield is gone(previous owner threw a rock through it mowing his lawn). Gauges have something on the glass and I have to see if that is damage or something that can be fixed.

Thanks for taking a look and helping me understand exactly what it is.
    Last edited by Jagsare1; 07-28-2021 at 08:35 PM.