Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do I have?

What do I have?

I've been mildly looking for a "green" Jeep. I don't care about authenticity. Just wanted a "military" Jeep that is driveable and will be driven. Found and bought one last week. But I can't tell exactly what I have. It was sold to me as a 1970 Kaiser-Jeep CJ5. Drivetrain is original, 4 cylinder Hurricane motor. 24 volt system. Runs good considering its lack of use for the last 51 years. Transfer case and transmission are mildly leaking and there is a good chance they have never been apart. Engine needs a tune up at least but actually runs good. Body is in good condition with 3 thumbnail sized rust spots and one area that looks like bondo. Again, I have no intention of making it perfect but I will re-paint it the correct green and put a star on it(and will probably add "MILITARY POLICE" below the windshield, US ARMY and my dads military ID on the hood and front or rear bumper will say PANAMA CANAL ZONE, where my dad served as an MP)

Here are my questions. Fuel fill is in the wrong place(right rear) which is one of the confusing issues. There is a new fuel tank under the rear. Everything I can find about a 1970 CJ5 has the spare tire on the right rear and fuel fill left of the driver to an underseat gas tank. It doesn't have a VIN, has a chassis number and I cannot tell what the last 5 digits are telling me....if anything. Plates are in German or Dutch? Note the battery box under the windshielf. The owner didn't know a lot about it. He thinks it was built to be delivered to another country but it never left the US. He thinks the mileage might be original. He bought it to drive in parades. Based on the pictures and info, can anyone tell me more specifically what it is? Either way, it will fit my need so before someone tells me it isn't authentic.....I already know. And don't care.

First task is to get the carb off and rebuilt. Tune up. Then have to address the transfer case and transmission. Windshield is gone(previous owner threw a rock through it mowing his lawn). Gauges have something on the glass and I have to see if that is damage or something that can be fixed.

Thanks for taking a look and helping me understand exactly what it is.
    Last edited by Jagsare1; 07-28-2021 at 08:35 PM.

A more clear picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Jagsare1!

It looks to me, and judging from the model number 830-5014, you have yourself a Toledo built Swiss Army Jeep. There are two model numbers for those jeeps, one being the M606A1 12v version and the M606A2 24v version. The tires were the first clue that it had served in Europe/ or destined to serve if it was never exported.

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index....28444/page-11

Very cool find Jagsare1! gm knows his stuff. Some history in that one.

Hi gm,

In the link provided, it says the top mount vacuum wipers ended in 68 but mine has them and is a 70. I bought it with the understanding it was nothing more than a CJ5 but maybe it actually has real military roots.....if you call the Swiss military....military.

Very, very nice!

A. "In the link provided, it says the top mount vacuum wipers ended in 68 but mine has them and is a 70." Even with this vehicle built for export, the First Rule of Jeep applies, namely: "What you see is what you have. Believe nothing you are told or read unless you verify it yourself."

B. Never say "Willys would never have ___________________." If they had an old windshield laying around, they would have used it.

And last of all - The Swiss military is a formidable organization. They are the main reason other European countries leave Switzerland alone and let them stay neutral in all of their squabbles.

"The Swiss military is a formidable organization" - My ignorance and failure as a joke. Sorry about that.

I am using the search function and didn't find this answer so I will ask it here. As mentioned, I believe that nothing has been rebuilt in the drivetrain and probably never been worked on.
    1. Transfer case leaking is most likely 51 year old seals. If you have to replace the seals, any reason to do more if it functions correctly? Anything funky that a good mechanic wouldn't know how to fix?
    2. Transmission leaking - same info as above. Fix? Rebuild?
    3. Carb - I know, not drive train but any reason to replace instead of rebuild?

Using the search function, I am finding nothing about this particular Jeep but have a lot of reading about the Hurricane engine, etc. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    And last of all - The Swiss military is a formidable organization. They are the main reason other European countries leave Switzerland alone and let them stay neutral in all of their squabbles.
    I believe it is because every of age man is armed and in the military by law.

I have been waiting a long time for this... Totally on your side Jag.... Pontifical-Swiss-Guards-election-Vatican-City-April-19-2005.jpg

On another note, If its working shifting and running well, fix the leaks and keep driving it. Make sure the fluids are clean. If it leaks out... it leaks in. Definitely keep the original carb.

It really depends on what you are doing. If you want to restore it, rebuilding everything gives you a great opportunity to really clean things up. It all depends on what you want to do with it.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-29-2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the question

I simply want to drive it. Would be nice for people to think it is cool. Authenticity wasn't a goal. Kinda nice that maybe it was build for the military when I was under the impression it was just a green CJ5. I appreciate the help.