Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do I have?

The look of the rifle mounts look for the modern SIG rifle platform. The distance between the but mount and the upper barrel clip come out right for the SIG.

That would make sense. That is one clean Jeep. I bet it was setup by someone for modern SIG's.

I am not driving it for the moment only because the transmission and transfer case is leaking. I haven't checked fluid level and as long as I can keep fluid in it, on to fuel delivery. Once started, it actually runs pretty good but it is difficult to start. It isn't the engine, it is fuel delivery, fuel is leaking back to the tank and seems to have a hard time get it back to the carb to start. If we put fuel directly in the carb, it starts right up and is fine but if you leave it a couple of house, hard to start again. As soon as I can get to it, I am going to remove and re-seal both the transmission and transfer case.

I see what appears to be olive drab in a couple of areas where the paint is peeling and I see white around the fuel tank fill. Wondering if it was painted white at some point.

There should be plenty of fuel left in the float bowl after a couple of hours, to start and run the motor long enough to re-prime the fuel pump. Something seems amiss there. What carburetor is on it? If it has a Heat Riser in the exhaust manifold is it stuck shut? That would boil the fuel out of the carburetor when it sets. Something is causing the fuel to drain or evaporate from the float bowl. I would expect it to easily sit overnight and fire right up with a few pumps and some choke the next morning. There should be plenty of fuel in the bowl for that.

I believe this is the Carter YS-950. I am not familiar with a heat riser. Did quick research, would a 1970 4-134 have a heat riser? I haven't done any investigation but know this. The fuel is not on the ground and not in the carb. If we continue trying the starter for many many minutes, it will eventually start(way more minutes than is good for a starter). If we put fuel in the carb, it starts immediately. Due to a move, I don't presently have a place to get to work on the Jeep but can't wait to do that. But if I solve the starting issue and make sure I have transmission and transfer case fluid, it is very driveable now. FYI, I believe everything is original except for the fuel tank, it was replaced a couple of years ago. But all internals, seals, etc, original, nothing rebuild or resealed, etc.

Yes it could have a Heat Riser. It would have been on there from the factory. It is possible it has been removed or, that it can be stuck in the "cold" position which will cook the carburetor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcA7ryBUkHw

The fuel should not be out of the bowl that fast. It can only get out 3 ways. It evaporates, it boils out from a stuck riser, it leaks out somewhere.

Did you fill the carb float bowl trough the vent? With the float bowl full does the accelerator pump squirt fuel when you work the throttle? With the float bowl full, looking down the carb can you see fuel dripping into the carb? Somehow it has to be getting out. With the float bowl full, pump the throttle, fuel should squirt from the accelerator pump. 3 or 4 pumps and some choke and it should start and run. If the fuel pump is bad it will run out of the fuel you put in the bowl. If the pump is good it should keep on ticking!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-20-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Yes it could have a Heat Riser. It would have been on there from the factory. It is possible it has been removed or, that it can be stuck in the "cold" position which will cook the carburetor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcA7ryBUkHw

The fuel should not be out of the bowl that fast. It can only get out 3 ways. It evaporates, it boils out from a stuck riser, it leaks out somewhere.

Did you fill the carb float bowl trough the vent? With the float bowl full does the accelerator pump squirt fuel when you work the throttle? With the float bowl full, looking down the carb can you see fuel dripping into the carb? Somehow it has to be getting out. With the float bowl full, pump the throttle, fuel should squirt from the accelerator pump. 3 or 4 pumps and some choke and it should start and run. If the fuel pump is bad it will run out of the fuel you put in the bowl. If the pump is good it should keep on ticking!

Going to try and answer these questions tomorrow. This won't be the first time I tell someone I appreciate the help.

Jags as always I am getting this confused with another post on a similar issue. I thought you were getting no fuel at all. It seems you are fine once you get it started, and it runs fine once it starts. One change, before you try to fill the bowl through the vent, pump the throttle and see if the accelerator pump squirts fuel down the throat of the carb. If it does there is already fuel in the bowl. It should have enough for 3 or 4 pumps and it should squirt every time (if it doesn't have enough fuel in the bowl to squirt 3 or 4 times, fill it through the vent till it does). That should be plenty of fuel to at least get it to fire. If it fires but wont keep running give it 1/2 choke and try again.

I am wondering on your starting technique Jags. It sounds like it just wants a little extra fuel when you start it. Once we are sure the fuel isn't leaking out of the carb, I think a look at how its starting might help. I am not sure how familiar you are with starting these classics. It isn't like a modern vehicle, the onboard computer is no help! You have to feed it just what it wants. A little air with the throttle, a little extra fuel maybe depending on how warm it is, with the choke or accelerator pump, and give it a try.

Will it start right away if you choke it nearly full? It starts when you dump fuel right in it, so we know it isn't getting fuel on its own to help it start. It could be an Idle circuit that needs tuning or the motor may just need a little more fuel to start. I am assuming you give it a few pumps and a little throttle when you try to start it after it sits for an hour. What is your technique for starting it after it sits for a while?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-21-2021 at 11:50 AM.

By 1970 no civilian soft top had hood bows to keep the soft top up unless it was military. Same with the pintel hook.
    I’d say it has a lot of military bits and pieces.

It seems to have a pintel hook and military type good bows like some military spec