Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WARN ing - An overdrive-related silly question...

Many years ago, when the national speed limit was 55, I owned a ‘66 CJ5 with the 225 and an overdrive. Ran it on the interstate around Tucson all the time with no trouble keeping up with traffic on 32” tires. I couldn’t keep a speedometer cable in it so no clue as to my speed but people weren’t very inclined to drive 55 on the highway anymore then than they are today. I used to scare my buddy by fishtailing it when making u-turns on pavement. It was fun to split shift but not practical. I would do it more on open parts of a trail when locked in low range than on the road. The glass packs mounted to the headers ended below the doors. That Jeep was a mess but I wish I had kept it. It was in much better shape than the 3A I own now.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 08-11-2021 at 07:26 AM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

A '66 with a 225 was a nice package. Good power, those would go anywhere with tall tires.

In my opinion, split shifting is way more fun when you have a 5-4 Brownie box backing an 8V71 or a 6V71. I never had the opportunity run a 12V in any configuration. The gear combinations were outstanding, and you could pull a mountain, while making the Detroit scream.

A 225 is a torquey engine. Lots of go anywhere ambition.

I agree with gm on the Detroits, you had to run them like you were mad at em
    Years ago my Grandfather bought a 11 cy self-loading scraper (it was a Wabco made by Westinghouse) and it had a 4-71 Detroit in it.The self loading paddles on the bowl were driven by 2 electric motors and the steering was an electric motor as well and the 4-71 drove the generator that supplied electric to steer it and drove the paddles. The only way you could steer it was a toggle switch on the dash, so you held onto a sissy bar and worked the switch left or right to steer it and the ONLY way it would steer is to keep the RPM's up.
    That being said as a teenager, indispensable, young and dumb, and full of trying to destroy everything with a engine they put me in it
    I am telling you that you had to keep it pedal to the metal constantly, that's probably why at only 60 something I have a bad back and hearing aids because it bounced you around like a carnival ride at the fair and with a straight pipe on a 2 stroke 4 cylinder diesel and it was loud!!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 08-11-2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Changed Pan to Scraper, Pans are for Cooking :)

See what you started Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    See what you started Mark!
    I've learned a lot on my jeep issues and ... on completely different things as well!
    Just spend the last 15 minutes Google-searching/reading on Brownie boxes and 8V71 Diesel engines - made from 1938 to 1995?! That's an insanely long run.

We try to not stray too far off the reservation when it comes to the topics of discussion, but sometimes life's experiences put things in a different perspective. Splitting gears with a Brownie box with both hands, arm through the steering wheel, running the go pedal, and watching for some hun yuk to pull out in front of you is definitely a juggle. There is rarely a day that goes by on here that we don't all learn something new from one another.

When you get BMorgil, TJones and GMWillys telling equipment stories, there isn't much they haven't driven or broken at one time or another.....