Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gauge restoration?

"I found this picture of a different Jeep but the cluster is almost the same."

That second picture looks like the panel from an M-170 - the ambulance version of the M38A1. It has the four quick-release studs that allow the whole cluster to be "easily" removed for service. The tell-tale for that panel are the three lamps and their housings.

Your vehicle does not have the removable panel - the gauges are mounted directly to the dash. It is a different critter for sure.

Yes sir, I wasn't saying it was the same, actually showing that some of the gauges appeared the same and a couple were different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagsare1 View Post
    I found this picture of a different Jeep but the cluster is almost the same. The speedometer is different(missing the kph) and the 2 right gauges are flipped. It looks like my gauge is definitely celsius. I was there today and forgot to take a look but will try and get the MS numbers.

Had a very bad thought.....since I just bought this Jeep. Found another fully restored M38. Mine is pretty nice and I believe all original which means it definitely needs some work and mostly maintenance but I could save all that work and get one already restored for not that much more. The question is what is mine really worth. Very bad thoughts.

Oh lordy. We are in it for sure now. The dreaded pride of ownership is seeping in! When we get down to original versus replacment gauges it is bad enough. But when we get to original to the truck replacement replacement guages, oh my. Well, I regret going with a modern revisitation of the original instrument cluster. So i will butt in here. It looked cool. It was supposed to work. It didnt have mold. The red and green lights actually glowed the correct fractation. But dang it all. My plan is to go back the original cluster and just deal with the fact that it is 57 years old. So there it is!

Funny you say that. I just want to drive a cool green Jeep. Not trying to make it into a parade show Jeep that is perfect. But, I think I have everything original so I am going to do my best to keep it that way. The worst part of this whole thing is that I am in the middle of a move and everything I own is packed away for now. I have no place to work on the Jeep and because of that, I am looking for things like carburetor rebuilders, etc. instead of doing it myself. I knew when I bought it that timing wasn't the best but felt it was a good deal on a nice condition 51 year old Jeep and I couldn't pass it up. Great time to sell a house....not so great to be building one. Raw land to top it off, have to bring in electricity, water, everything including building a 1500' road into the property. The fun part is the 36" of rain in the last 30 days. Makes road building a blast!

Someone earlier said the speedo was a little unique because it also showed kilometers.....so can't replace that because it is unique. Temp gauge is celsius.....can't replace that because it is unique(at least in this country).

The oil pressure gauge should be in bar or possibly kPa. KPa translates to a bunch of numbers clustered on gage.

The amp gage should stay the same as a universal measurements. Senior Chief master electrician can chime in if I'm incorrect.

"The amp gage should stay the same as a universal measurements."

Amps is amps - unless some fizzicist wants to define the current flow as coulombs per second or some equally arcane unit.

Tried to get more gauge pics. Obviously, the temp gauge is not original. Not 100% sure it is working. Same for fuel and oil pressure. But here are the pictures I got of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images