Thread: Very Little Fire

Very Little Fire

Hey folks, working on my 55 truck, 226 super hurricane. Can't seem to get very much fire to get to run. Put in new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor button,and electric distributor to replace points but gets very little spark from plugs, won't start. Any ideas??

Coil? Maybe a bad connection on a coil wire? Not very much to choose from with what is already done.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I agree with Jeff. You left only a few things to check, Is there the correct voltage at the coil with the key on and, is the coil good? With an ohm meter you should read no more than 1.5 ohms between the Positive and Negative terminals on the coil in a Ballast Resistor system. Check the resistance from the coil negative to ground. It should be zero resistance measured with an ohm meter before the rotor is pointed at a cylinder. Rotate the engine to line up before a firing position on the rotor and cap. The resistance to ground should be zero when the magnet in the electronics on the distributor you installed is lined up to before it fires the plug, with the key on. Remember the plug sparks when the coil discharges or, right when the points open. In your case the electronics do the switching. I always suspect bad grounds and bad connections in general when voltage is weak.

Do you have a ballast resistor? Make sure it is not "in front" of the electronics +. The electronics must have full voltage. Is the coil marked "Requires a Ballast Resistor"? I would not run a ballast resistor with an electronic conversion. It kind of defeats some of the benefit. Buy a coil that does not require a ballast resistor if yours requires one. Use a 3 ohm coil and no ballast resistor for maximum electronic ignition performance.

One thing to be sure of with some of the electronic conversions. Leaving the key in the "On" position will burn up some of them. On the least expensive 4 cylinder Pertronix conversion it cannot be left on with the engine off, or it will melt it.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-22-2021 at 12:11 PM.

thanks for the info ill check things out but there also is a new coil too