Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to locate 3 items - Headlight bulb, green headlight bezel and taillight lense

Need to locate 3 items - Headlight bulb, green headlight bezel and taillight lense

Can I replace this bulb or do I need to replace the entire assembly, builb, lense and all?

The Jeep has a chrome bezel. Want to replace with green bezel but don't see those anywhere.

Finally, the tail light lenses need replacing. They say Swiss Made on them with a number and I found them....in Switzerland. Any one familiar with a US source?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had to add a couple of additional bulb pics.

You can replace the headlight assembly with a sealed bulb Halogen or even an LED 24 volt assembly. If you would just like to replace the bulb itself, a quick Mrs. Google search will give you some options. The headlight bezel can be painted by sanding the chrome down and using a good epoxy primer to adhere to the base metal. I'm not coming up with a source for the tail light lenses, but will continue to look.

I did a fairly deep Mrs. Google search for a bulb that looks like that, but I didn't find anything.

Back in the mid-80's I did a considerable amount of aircraft communications work with the Swiss and your light assembly looks like a typical Swiss innovation. They started with a standard headlight bucket, then had a special bulb assembly made to replace a standard 7-inch sealed beam lamp. Typical Swiss ... but it works for them.

The good news looks like you have a standard three pin headlight connector behind the bulb and socket assembly.

Octane lighting has a set of two 24-volt halogen lights for a fairly reasonable price. They use standard halogen bulbs for replacements, so the next replacement should be a lot simpler.

https://www.amazon.com/LIGHTING-Halo.../dp/B00GNU3KN0.

They also offer a 24-volt LED headlight set. I don't know of anyone who is using these, so I can't speak for any of their performance claims.

https://www.octanelighting.com/7-24-...ulbs-pair.html

If you want to go top-of-the-line, the Grote 90941-5 is one fantastic light. I am running a set of them on the '48 with a little 6-volt to 12-volt converter tucked away under the dash and I can attest to the fact that with the Grote lamps, you can see and be seen! With these lights, you can see a deer in the headlights with plenty of time to stop.

https://www.grote.com/white-light/fo...ights/90941-5/.

Good luck... and keep us informed.
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 08-26-2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added 24-volt LED info

I know this is old hat for you guys and I appreciate the help. No problem replacing the whole light if that is what I need to do. Didn't think about sanding and painting the bezel so I will give that a shot.

The tail light lense is still available. But I can only find it in Switzerland. I have reached out to them via email but not sure how successful I will be with the language barrier. My lenses are not broken, just faded. I could possibly polish them but never tried that.

Found the bulb!

https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzga...ight-24v-5055w

This website might be a source to hunt down your tail light lens as well.

1,000 grit wet sand paper will brighten up your tail light lenses.

Swiss Army Vehicles is located in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 08-26-2021 at 09:20 AM.

gm you found the bulb in the USA and in Fayetteville Arkansas to boot!

I have had success polishing some glass and plastic back into pretty good shape. There are a lot of things out there to use. I use toothpaste successfully, Jewelers rouge, 1000 grit wet sand paper, all with decent results. On plastic I only use toothpaste and a lot of time. I have always been worried it would get scratched even worse.

Not so much scratches, just cloudy and faded.

Look what I just found! Previous owner gave me some items that belong in the "tool box" below the passenger seat including a jack, etc. He also gave me a small metal box. I knew it has bulbs in it. He only found it when he sold to me. Apparently, it was original to the Jeep. I will eventually clean it up but I don't see any markings or identification in the box. But, I forgot to look in there and accidently saw it this morning and guess what was in it? A head light bulb.

The toothpaste trick ought to brighten up the lenses just fine. Great tip Bmorgil!

Good deal on the spare bulbs. Great little metal box full of goodies!

Quick update. Still working on the gauges. No success so far. I have lights all around except brake lights. Found a switch missing so until I replace that, there won't be any brake lights. I bought the switch, haven't installed yet. I'll continue to update as I work on the gauges and other things.