Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 61' cj5

  1. #1
    Junior Member oblvnnwtnjhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    12

    61' cj5

    I lucked out with this purchase as a design engineer with a large automaker undertook this project, hitting all the important mechanical points, upgrading where it made sense and a return.
    The only caveats are the T90 will need at a minimum 2nd/3rd synchro replaced as it pops out of second at times, leaks even though the PO before my seller is said to have rebuilt.
    I was relieved and jealous to see how inexpensive/easy a rebuild is vs my other classic toys. So I will be rebuilding the T90 fully.



    It has been completely body off, frame and body sanded, primed, painted
    -Completely replaced floor
    -All brake and brake lines completely new
    -All new or rebuilt steering ( still a tad bit of slop, considering the TightSteer Sector Shaft Tensioner)
    -completely stripped and rebuilt front axle
    -Brand new wiring harness and lights
    -factory seats rebuilt/salvage attempt (first time trying a sewing machine)
    -new repro wheels
    -completely overhauled engine
    -transmission and transfer case overhauled by PO. (seller before mine)

    Upgrades:
    -fold and tumble rear seat added
    -BFG KM3 7.5r16
    -1998 Cherokee swinging pedal assembly, brake booster and master cylinder -huge braking improvement
    -1998 Cherokee clutch master and slave cylinder modified to work inline with the original clutch linkages.
    -rocker guards and rear corners guards. Added protection and dent/rust hole corrections.
    -Tom Woods front and rear prop shafts

    The bad:
    -Dana 18 transfer case leaks slightly. No matter what my seller did, it always leaks a little.
    Weepy and jumps out of 2nd T90 (full rebuild and Saturn OD upcoming)







  2. #2
    Super Moderator bmorgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    2,190
    It sounds like you are well on your way! Nice looking Jeep. Almost everyone struggles with leaks in the T90 and the 18. The front seal of the T90 and every bolt in the 18 that goes into oil (nearly all of them) need attention. The shim pack on the output bearing also needs t have something on every shim.

    Good luck and keep those pictures coming!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    251
    Unless you have seen they are damaged or worn, the syncro isn’t the only thing that can cause a transmission to pop out of gear. It could be worn out balls and/or springs along the shift rails. (My nomenclature could be off some)
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

  4. #4
    Junior Member oblvnnwtnjhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    Unless you have seen they are damaged or worn, the syncro isn’t the only thing that can cause a transmission to pop out of gear. It could be worn out balls and/or springs along the shift rails. (My nomenclature could be off some)
    Yes I've seen that mentioned trolling the boards. I plan to get my hands greasy to inspect further once the humidity moves out of here. For now, just cruising and enjoying the breeze.

  5. #5
    Senior Member TJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    832
    WOW that thing is spotless!!!!
    Like bmorgil says they all leak, I took mine all out (Tranny and Transfer Case) and tore them into a million pieces and completely and put new seals, gaskets and bearings in it and it still leaks (not as bad but just enough to aggravate you) after a short joy ride around town.
    Keep the pictures coming, we Love Project Pictures!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member oblvnnwtnjhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    WOW that thing is spotless!!!!
    Like bmorgil says they all leak, I took mine all out (Tranny and Transfer Case) and tore them into a million pieces and completely and put new seals, gaskets and bearings in it and it still leaks (not as bad but just enough to aggravate you) after a short joy ride around town.
    Keep the pictures coming, we Love Project Pictures!!
    Yes, the seller mentioned he rebuilt the Dana 18 twice, still leaks. Par for the course it seems. Mike at KW mentioned he offers a neoprene gasket. I will investigate further when it cools down in a few weeks.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator LarrBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Posts
    2,032

    I agree too

    That is a very sharp, very nice Jeep.

    I see from boat registration numbers and a license plate in the background that you are located in the great state of Tennessee. Just where?

    My Jeep and I started out in West Tennessee around Jackson, but left in 1967 to seek my fortune in the Navy and I've not gone back except to visit and reduce the deer population on an annual basis since I've retired. (I never found a fortune, but I've not missed many meals either.)

    The truck sports a 1954 Tennessee license plate (the year my daddy bought it) in recognition of its Dixie heritage.

    And yes, the Warner T90E transmission leaks a bit
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Super Moderator gmwillys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,861
    Very nice 5 there neighbor!
    A general rule of thumb with having a Willys, if it's leaking oil, its got oil. We have all spent hours trying to stop oil leaks, but end up with at least one that won't stop dripping.

  9. #9
    Junior Member oblvnnwtnjhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    That is a very sharp, very nice Jeep.

    I see from boat registration numbers and a license plate in the background that you are located in the great state of Tennessee. Just where?

    My Jeep and I started out in West Tennessee around Jackson, but left in 1967 to seek my fortune in the Navy and I've not gone back except to visit and reduce the deer population on an annual basis since I've retired. (I never found a fortune, but I've not missed many meals either.)

    The truck sports a 1954 Tennessee license plate (the year my daddy bought it) in recognition of its Dixie heritage.

    And yes, the Warner T90E transmission leaks a bit
    That was at the sellers house. But I did come to AL via Nashville area. Went through Jackson to Oxford a few times.

  10. #10
    Junior Member oblvnnwtnjhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Very nice 5 there neighbor!
    A general rule of thumb with having a Willys, if it's leaking oil, its got oil. We have all spent hours trying to stop oil leaks, but end up with at least one that won't stop dripping.
    Thanks for the compliment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •