Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana 23 with 4.56 gears

Make sure you are following this procedure dg.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...re-in-a-thread

I followed the instruction, but no luck. I cannot log in most times either. When I do, it takes several minutes to give me permission to do anything. When I upload the screen goes dark for a few minutes and then comes back with the cursor in a line below, but no picture. Thanks.

Test Post - Add a Picture

Log-in is screwy for me as well. I try to log in, it kicks me down to the try again box - but if I just go back up and click "FORUM", I get in.

Picture uploading is working for me - you've just irritated the computer somewhere....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trying again.

Nope? Anyway the pictures only show the number "23" on the lower passenger side of the casing, and a metal tag with "W41/9" attached to one of the lower bolts. Thanks.

Stranger and stranger. I got the front drums off today and I noticed that the drums and shoes are 11 inches. I have read that the Jeepsters did come with 11" drums as an option and they called it the "mountain brake option". So we have a very plain Jeepster (no overdrive, no "T" bar, no hood emblems, no side steps, no radio, and no heater, and painted tub caps and dash cap) but with the very rare L148 six, 4.56 rear end gears, and mountain brakes. Also, it seems to me that you would want mountain brakes in the hills but the higher gear ratio on more flat ground? Maybe some folks who special ordered the Jeepsters in 1950 were as strange as some of us are today? Having fun!

You may have an end of the model conglomeration of left over odds and ends from the parts bins. It is the realm of possibilities. Although it could also be a special order, also in the realm as well. As LarrBeard says, just because the books say Willys never did, doesn't mean it never happened.

The Jeepsters didn't sell well. They were expensive for what they were. The dealers would do a lot of work to get them off the lot. Back in the 50's a lot of options were performed at the dealer. For instance the original Willys DJ was converted mostly by dealerships. It certainly is possible a dealer made the Jeepster special order, or someone performed some "upgrades" long ago.

I'm sure all possibilities may be at play, but I have had a number of these Jeepster and this one certainly looks to be unaltered, but I'm no expert. The point about a conglomeration makes the most sense to me. This one has the 1949 body style with the VIN plate number of VJ3-6 10996. According to Paul at West Cost Willys and his wonderful Restoration Guide, the last Jeepster with the six made in 1949 was VJ3-6 10654, and first one made in 1950 was VJ3-6 10656 and the last one made in March 1950 was VJ3-6 11001. Mine is only five numbers before the last one made with the 1949 body style and parts. I'm sure they were ramping up production and parts for the new 1950 body style and maybe just used whatever they had left over and excluded the nicer detail parts due to part shortages? Thanks.

Every Unicorn is a unique and beautiful creature ....

I received information from the Jeepster Club's technical expert, that Willys put the 4.56 gears in those Jeepsters and wagons that did not come with the electric overdrive. That explains why mine has the higher than usual gear ratio. Thanks all for your help.