Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana 23 with 4.56 gears

Dana 23 with 4.56 gears

I have an early 1950 Willys Jeepster with the 49 body style that has the Dana Model 23 rear end with 4.56 gears. I understood that all Jeepster can with 4.88 gears. The are some that say they also came with the 5.38 gears, although I have not seen any, but I have not heard of any coming with the 4.56 gears. This one has the L148 six and does not have the overdrive. Any thoughts? Thanks.

dg, I am going to say I only know of a 4.88 ratio for the 23 axle. I am not aware of the 23 axle having any other ratios available.

Have you verified the ratio with a tooth count?

I have not counted the gears but the tag on the housing is clear 41/9. I have contacted an expert on Jeepsters and he said he has seen some 4.56 gears on Jeepsters but mostly the model 23's with 4.56 gears were on wagons.

It is quite possible it is the wrong tag or not a 23 axle. The 41, 44 or 53 could be in there. You never know what could have happened back in the early 50's. If you have the 2 wheel drive Planar front suspension, it should be a 23. As I said however, I know of only one ratio used in the Willys for the 23, a 4.88 ratio. Studebaker used the 23 also. I have seen a few ratios for them. The Jeepsters and the Wagons used the 23 in the rear with the 4.88 ratio. It will be interesting to see that axle.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-22-2021 at 06:20 AM.

The axle is stamped 23 on the back passenger side of the housing. I know this is an old vehicle, but I now have the body off (doing a frame off restoration) and everything I see suggests all the parts are original. Thanks.

When you get the axle cleaned up, snap some photos. That will help a lot. It is possible anything could have happened back in the 50's.

The Jeepsters were the unicorns of the Jeep world - rare and marvelous creatures.

Willys-Overland wasn't too particular in configuration management on even the "standard" vehicles and since Jeepsters were batch built, consistency wasn't one of their strong points.

Rule 2 of Jeep is "What you see is what you have", and just because everyone says "Willys-Overland never did that" doesn't mean they didn't - we've just never see it. (Rule 3: Never say Willys -Overland never would have ________________. Fill in the blank - they probably did.

We will take your work as evidence that, in some cases, WO did put 41/9 rear ends in Jeepsters.

Be careful, you could become our resident Jeepster expert as you get deeper in the job.

Send pictures!

Here's a few pictures. Thanks.

I can't seem to post the pictures. I'll try later.
    Last edited by dgoodenow; 09-22-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Try it again and let me know if it doesn't work. I was just able to post a test picture on another thread. Hopefully it is working for you now.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoodenow View Post
    Here's a few pictures. Thanks.

I can't seem to post the pictures. I'll try later.
    Still not able to post pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-22-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: bmorgil test photo