Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying this frame

Need help identifying this frame

Jeep_n_John,

What you have is a CJ2A frame from a quick glance. The round crossmember for the radiator and pitman arm is a clue. The frame is most likely a '48 or so because the earlier frames had a gusset that tied into the front bumper both on the upper and lower horns of the frame. Your frame must have come out of the Dakota's, being how clean it is! Even Southern frames don't tend to that clean!
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-28-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Jeep_n_John,

What you have is a CJ2A frame from a quick glance. The round crossmember for the radiator and pitman arm is a clue. The frame is most likely a '48 or so because the earlier frames had a gusset that tied into the front bumper both on the upper and lower horns of the frame. Your frame must have come out of the Dakota's, being how clean it is! Even Southern frames don't tend to that clean!
    \\

So, This is not actually my Frame, but one in an add that I responded to. I will tell you what he was asking and what I offered him a little later. After researching a lot of info from what was on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and other places, I offered him what I thought was at least twice what it was worth as I just wanted it and it was close and I did not have to drive 13 - 20 hours to pick it up.

He had no idea what he really had or what it was or what it was really worth. He just stood there sort of dumbfounded on weather to take my offer or not, In the end, he said he had a couple other calls and wanted to see what they offered.

So I am curious from the experts here, What is a frame like this worth? I am curious if my research was incorrect, or if the high amount he was asking was justified. What do you all think this setup is worth? By the way, The tranny was completely locked up, Tires obviously do not hold air, Rims may be OK, Not sure about the axels, but since the front transfer case is wide open, I would say that is junk. Leaf springs look OK, except for one which was open on one end and about ready to fall off the mount shackle. To me, the only thing I saw that was nice was the frame. He had this sitting around for about 20 years. Someone was storing it on his lot and moved away and had no place to put it, so he told the guy he could have it. It has mainly been in his way and he keeps moving it around as he leases out space on his lot.

So once again, what do you think this setup should sell for, what is a fair price.

Over the years I've come across a few frames, and the most I ever paid was $250.... But I'm cheap. None of the mentioned frames had rot in one place or another, and became donors to fix other projects. My current Heep has front frame horns that once belonged to a frame that was rotten in the middle from being burried in a creek bank for who knows how long. From the looks of your photos, the frame is the only good part of the deal. The front diff looks like it was pulled out of lake Mille Lacs with the cover missing. I can imagine that the transmission is about the same. To answer your question, I would feel comfortable paying up to $500 for a really good frame.

Over the years I've come across a few frames, and the most I ever paid was $250.... But I'm cheap. None of the mentioned frames had rot in one place or another, and became donors to fix other projects. My current Heep has front frame horns that once belonged to a frame that was rotten in the middle from being burried in a creek bank for who knows how long. From the looks of your photos, the frame is the only good part of the deal. The front diff looks like it was pulled out of lake Mille Lacs with the cover missing. I can imagine that the transmission is about the same. To answer your question, I would feel comfortable paying up to $500 for a really good frame.
    Thanks for your input, That is inline with my assessment based on info I gathered. I put a good frame somewhere between 250 and 500 dollars. There was one I was looing at in Michigan with a rollar chassis, tranny, engine, and radiator and the guy wanted $450. I contacted him but received no response. Then later, when reviewing info in his profile, It was clear he did not sell it for $450 for over 18 months, at which point he said he was parting it out in pieces. He listed the frame for $100 and it sold for $80. I would have liked to get a hold of that one. He was in the far point in michigan betwen the two lakes. I just assumed I would have a long drive down through Chicago and then up through michigan. WHen I used Google maps, it actually took me arount north and across a toll bridge. Other optional routes involved using a ferry. It was much shorter timewise, but the ferry ride for a truck and trailer was about 600 dollars one way, LOL

Anyway, THis guy has big $$$ in his eyes and has it listed at $2500. I took along a lot of printouts from FB and Craislist showing the cost of frames and jeeps. It was really apparent he new nothing about these. He was a pretty nice guy and we chatted quit a bit and I educated him at what he had and what I thought it was worth. I initially offered him $500. He was not sure what to do and just stood there. Then he said he wanted to talk to a couple others who had inquired. I then told him I would give him $800 right there on the spot, and he really pondered without a response. Finally I said no big deal, talk to the others, and that I could live with the frame I have. He said he would let me know the outcome. I asked him to shoot me a message, even if he sells it as I just want to know what it went for. We will see if I here from him, LOL I felt I was being more than generous. I had no problem with the additional cash, as from what I was seeing, if and when I find a frame (If I decide to go that rought) I will probably have a $200 in gas and 8-20 hour of driving time. It was really nice to see something local.

I bought my jeep knowing the frame had issues, but after seeing it had been repaired (sturdy but not pretty) I decided to go with it. The last thing I wanted was a big project. I am more into restoring vintage motorcycles. I dont mind cleaning a carb, fuel system, and some basic maintenance, but did not want a big project. One concern I have is if I do get a frame like this and work on a total restore, I wont want to take it through the deer hunting woods, LOL My main purpose was to put around town and to drive some trails up at the deer shack,

Thanks again for the input.
    Last edited by jeep_n_john; 09-30-2021 at 08:43 PM.

JnJ, I gotta tell you, I understand your comment " One concern I have is if I do get a frame like this and work on a total restore, I wont want to take it through the deer hunting woods, LOL My main purpose was to put around town and to drive some trails up at the deer shack,"

I cleaned, replaced and touched everything on mine. A true frame off restore. I don't even like to drive it down the stone driveway! I dont go over a few MPH so no dust kicks up! My boy and his buddies are rock crawlers, they think my "Garage Queen" needs to run through the mud, HA! It is a lot of fun in the parades and shows however, and it drives to the shows.

You don't have to get that crazy to achieve what you want. With the body off it is like a giant 4 wheel drive go-kart. Everything is right there to work on. You can get it mechanically sound and back together without a lot of trouble when the body is off. You don't have to paint and polish every part, A rebuilt power -train and some brakes and it will keep going for a long time.

Some of the frames that I have had through the Rust Ranch. All were for projects, and unfortunately I do not have any remaining.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some of the frames that I have had through the Rust Ranch. All were for projects, and unfortunately I do not have any remaining.
    gm, I bet you run more vehicles,frames,body's and pieces parts through the Rust Ranch than the auctioneers do through a re-po auction, I bet your neighbors wonder what in the world this guy does for a living.
    Last edited by TJones; 10-01-2021 at 07:12 AM.

gm that is just some cool stuff!

My current neighbors have come to expect the unexpected when the trailer gets hooked to the truck. At any given time, I have a constant rotation of oddities.
    Attached Images Attached Images