Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ac 1957

Ac 1957

First Time on-

Just picked up a 57 CJ, nice shape and had a full resto in the 80's
    Spent a lot of time years ago in my best friends 53 and always wanted to get one of my own.

I have done a good deal of auto work in my time along with driving and racing but I know I will have questions as I dig into this.

To start..
    It does not have an oil filter which is odd. I guess I can use the access from the sending unit and install as intended but is there something else out there that you would recommend?
    Also looking for half doors but don't seem to be finding much.
    My air cleaner is a top access oil and canister unit. Is that canister a replacement item?
    Thanks for whatever you can share...

The '57 CJ 5 should have a fitting on the timing gear cover at about 10 o'clock (viewed from the front). That is the dump line from the filter cannister. The supply side comes from a fitting hidden right behind the fuel pump on the lower right side of the engine. In your case it may have a plug in it. If you are flexible enough, you may be able to get to it from below but most times you will need to pull the fuel pump to get access to run a line. A right angle brass fitting starts the process with a line up to the filter cannister.

When you put the filter on, make sure you have a good return hose - we have had several incidents of defective return lines that leak and at least make a mess and - in worst case - can cause a potentially damaging oil loss.

Thanks
    I live in upstate NY so winter is a good time for projects. Will start gathering parts and be ready.
    Looks like where I need to get the oil is where someone tapped for the oil pressure gauge so can re engineer that one pretty easy.

Any preferred parts source?? The last time I worked on a Jeep I was shopping a JC Whitney paper catalog. That dates me a bit.

Welcome aboard AC!!!
    For parts www.kaiserwillysparts.com is your best bet, they will have anything you need to get your filter canister installed.
    Post some pictures when you get time of your project and your progress.

From the time I was 14 years old there was always a J.C Whitney catalog in the bathroom.

Now you will need to get one of these.
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/requestcatalog/

Quote Originally Posted by AC1957 View Post
    Thanks. Looks like where I need to get the oil is where someone tapped for the oil pressure gauge so can re engineer that one pretty easy.
    The sensor usually goes at the right rear just under the oil supply line to the rocker arms.

And, J. C. Whitney and Warshawsky had the same catalog and same street address ...

My favorite J. C. Whitney item was the Burmese Gas Snake that you dropped into your tank so it could eat the mileage robbing red molecules out of your gas. There were several things like that buried in the catalog.

[QUOTE=bmorgil;17912]From the time I was 14 years old there was always a J.C Whitney catalog in the bathroom.

How about the Sears catalogs??
    Can never have enough catalogs in the basket in the bathroom

Welcome! 7AC!

JC Whitney was the greatest! Montgomery Ward also had Jeep parts and accessories as well. Somewhere I have a set of lock out hubs that came from Monkey Wards.

You know gm your right about that, we had a Monkey Wards by our house here and I think my dad did buy a set of lock out hubs from them for our Jeep years and years ago.
    They had all kinds of automotive parts available there.

"They had all kinds of automotive parts available there."

They also had a lot of other interesting things as well. In sporting goods I can remember a rack of rifles, US 1903 Springfields and German Mauser 98K's. I was too young to note the exact price, but I suspect you could buy all you wanted for about $25 a piece.

That was a totally different day ....