Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CJ 5 steering gear box ?

That has me smiling also Scott! Keep it on the road man, its all about remembering the past, and creating the future.

Ok, another question.
    Type of oil to fill in steering box? I have heard two options. 140w oil or some special grease. Seems to be two opinions on this subject, each says this is the best over the other.
    I'll ask you guys your thoughts here.

Everything you need in the Tech Section Scott! Definitely a subject that comes up all the time. Never use 140 AXLE gear oil no matter what you read or hear. The original specification was for 140 weight gear oil but not the kind for your axle. The military spec that relates to the gear oil is different than axle lube. Gear oil is not all the same by a long shot! Steering gear lube like knuckle lube, needs to have a very thick constancy. It is 140 weight but not the same as an Axle lube 140 weight. It is often refereed to as a "00" grade. It needs to be the consistency of jelly at room temperature.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ox-Lubrication
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-16-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Ok. Thank you for the clarification. Yea sometimes to many opinions or suggestions makes your head spin. Why I asked here. Thanks so much.

I have a 1961 CJ 5 . Steering is loose? Check everything tie rod ends, Bell crank , drag link from bell crank to box. They sell a spring loaded adjuster that goes where you adjust the box on the side.
    Mine was very loose, rebuilt bell crank and put a new drag link and that steering box adjuster. You can get a rebuild kit for both bell crank and drag link.
    Made a world of difference on mine.
    I also added a steering stabilizer too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beef View Post
    I have a 1961 CJ 5 . Steering is loose? Check everything tie rod ends, Bell crank , drag link from bell crank to box. They sell a spring loaded adjuster that goes where you adjust the box on the side.
    Mine was very loose, rebuilt bell crank and put a new drag link and that steering box adjuster. You can get a rebuild kit for both bell crank and drag link.
    Made a world of difference on mine.
    I also added a steering stabilizer too.
    My uncle found this CJ5 as his next project! The steering needs some attention so we'll see. We're going to take a look this week once we finish installing the brake pads and wheels on the current Silverado project.

Well the rebuild project is complete. And put back together. Wow what a difference in steering. It all went well, and check that off list of new things done in life. Removing the pitman arm was the toughest job. My cousin has a machine shop so time was spent in there with his tools. What a help that was. After disassembling it was determined the sector shaft and worm shaft both bent, bushings checked out good. I did use a bearing separator from harbor freight for steering wheel. I saw another thread that was discussed and yes it worked well, just a note. Putting back together I just took my time to center up every thing.... test drive I was nervous but all good. Thank you to all for input. Bmorgil your advice was very useful, thanks again. Weather is getting nice and shes ready to go play again.....

Your welcome, glad it went well! They are a blast. You can keep them going a long time that's for sure.

Glad everything went well for you. Bmorgil is the best in the business when it comes to all things that require patience and finesse. Enjoy the warm weather on your drives!

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Bmorgil is the best in the business when it comes to all things that require patience and finesse.
    Hahaha... guaranteed you will get some argument from others on that one gm!