Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CJ 5 steering gear box ?

CJ 5 steering gear box ?

So my steering has a good bit of play, slop. We have tried adjusting with some improvement. The conclusion we came up with is the gears are worn and needs replaced or rebuilt. So my question is do I find a new one or is it worth rebuild and if rebuild is it a difficult job? Looked over the manual and watched a video. Seems doable, but curious if I go this route any advice to help me out and be aware of. Rest of steering components feel tight and look good, has been determined to be in gear box.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Scott I’ve got power steering on mine so I’m not real sure about the stock manual steering boxes but I’m sure bmorgil or gmwillys will direct you in the right direction on here sometime today. If I was a betting guy I’d bet both have done it and can walk you through the process of rebuilding or replacing it which ever is the best route.

The box is a pretty straight forward rebuild. Be sure to use the new "unitized" or one piece bearings. The bearings in the box are originally individual balls. You can also use new individual balls but it makes it a little trickier to do. You have to goop up the bearings so they stay in place. The new sector shaft bushings MUST be reamed to fit to the new sector shaft. This is the only "hitch" in the process. I have a lot of reamers laying about. The reamer for the sector shaft can be cost prohibitive. You might be able to find a machine shop that will ream them for you. You will need new gasket and bearings. You may want to pick up a shim assortment. The preload will be set on the bench using shims.

That's what I'm looking for the "hitch". I figured there had to be one. Also I read use a puller to get arm off oshaft?? Looks like KW has a sector shaft kit to replace this. Thanks again for the tip.

Yes Scott the pitman arm can be on the sector shaft fairly tight. A pitman arm puller (a good strong one) might be needed. I used the KW kit. It has all you need, except the tools. It is getting hard to find the unitized bearings. The Ross box is everywhere however. If you have trouble finding parts, the Ross box is in everything old car and tractor.

https://www.desmetjeep.com/product/d...atid=18&page=1

Finding another box was an option I'm also exploring just dont want to end up with same situation. I know chance you take. So reinstall the pitman arm, does it need pressed back on or just tighten back down and be ok?

You just torque it back on. It just gets stuck on there pretty good after its been on a while. The box is a simple design. Sometimes the only thing wrong with them is wear in the "High Point" the dead center of the sector shaft position. A new sector shaft, a seal, a preload adjustment and bearing repack and they are good. The bushings are usually not too bad. If they check OK, no play side to side with the new Sector Shaft, I would not replace them. I would only replace and size with a reamer if they were loose with the new shaft. The preload is the next important thing. It is set by shims and needs to be done on the bench.

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the tips. I love this forum, cuz you get information from people who know. Dont know many people close to me with this knowledge. My dad said ask some mechanic I know, they know new school, not old. I talked with my dad first, told him he was it, guys that know old school. He laughed and agreed but I said I would reach out on this forum for more tips. I sure appreciate it.

Funny story on my dad. I asked him to look at this issue with me for input. Made some adjustments and went out on road. I took a spin around town and went out on back road. Stopped and asked him if he wanted to drive? Before I finish my sentence seat belt off jumped out and said yes half way around to my side.... I could only laugh. I jumped over to passenger seat and we took off with him at wheel. Well he drove all over the place, about an hour of driving country roads and three trips past house. Each time we went by house he said next block and we go back, well that didn't happen, back on another drive on a different road. He was like a sixteen year old on his first drive. I sat back giggling and enjoyed the ride. He had a fun time and I was happy to share this moment together... I'm still laughing and it was about a week ago. Thanks for letting me share and the advice your providing. Most
    of driving was off road. Now that it's on road " legally " I'm finding things to adress. Appreciate it guys.

That’s a great story Scott.
    Cherish every minute of them!!!!