Thread: wont go into gear

wont go into gear

I hope this is a dumb question. My new to me 57cj ran fine, shifted fine etc. Got in it today and wont go into gear. No gear. Put all shifters in every position (High /low, 4 wheel overdrive and nothing. Let clutch out and I get neutral. Before I go taking stuff apart is there some trick I don't know. Thanks

I suspect I will be coming up with other dumb questions.

Everything I read says I have the transfer case in neutral. I really don't think I do . It is very obvious when the shifter is neutral unless I'm missing something obvious which is possible.

The High/low and overdrive dont seem to have any spot that is an obvious neutral if that matters.

Where does each shifter need to be??

The hi/low and overdrive are either forward or back. One of them may not be making full travel but you should be able to feel it when they shift into position even with the engine off. Same with the transmission. If you can’t feel it going into gear then maybe a shift fork let go.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff has you going in the right direction. As things get old and worn it can get difficult to get it into gear. It sounds like things aren't quite lined up. Try putting the transmission in first and let the clutch out. Then put the clutch back in and try shifting the transfer case Shift the case into high and engaged. As Jeff alluded to, you should be able to feel it drop in. Keep letting the clutch in and out to spin up the gears in the transfer case. Every now and then you have to "finesse" them into gear. Even the main gear box will do this from time to time. This is normal for a vehicle with multiple gear boxes in it. You have to line things up every now and then.

Keep us posted, if you still cant get it we will figure out what went wrong. There are a few things to check. If it was running fine and you didn't have any problems when you parked it, I am sure it is just giving you a little trouble lining up the gears.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-09-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Jeff may be onto something with the shift fork letting go.
    If the tranny is not going into any gear then nothing behind will turn.
    That being said the shift fork has 2 rails that the shift forks slide on 1 for 1st and reverse and 1 for 2nd and 3rd and the forks are attached and held in place to the rails with either 1 or 2 tiny spring pins, that could have sheared off or dropped out and not letting the forks to shift into gear.
    It has me a little puzzled that the chances of both or all of spring pins shearing off or falling out are slim to none.
    I’d first try bmorgil’s trouble shoot before tearing into it.
    Let’s us know what transpires in you study.
    Last edited by TJones; 10-09-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Got it. It was the high/low. For whatever reason I got to click in. I think I will leave it where it is! Thank you

Good news! Just remember, leaving it in one position can lead to it staying in one postilion.