Page 31 of 75 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Is That A Willys Wagon?? 1956 Willys Project

I was just wondering about the door and rear cards to see if you were continuing the King Ranch type feel. Sound deadening and the like. I'm stuck in a quandary to how I want to handle the floor, whether to line the under side with a spray in bed liner, and dyno mat the interior side walls or what yet. Trying to get it to not be an echo chamber for the power plant that I end up choosing.

I will say that you have helped to get me motivated, (clearing blocks of time) to get back rolling on my wagon project. I spent Saturday night fitting the driver's side floor. I'll post the pictures and descriptions when I get some time to download the photos.

gm I have a sweet just built iron block LS stroker with a mild cam that would slip right in there. Hasn't even been to the dyno yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I was just wondering about the door and rear cards to see if you were continuing the King Ranch type feel. Sound deadening and the like. I'm stuck in a quandary to how I want to handle the floor, whether to line the under side with a spray in bed liner, and dyno mat the interior side walls or what yet. Trying to get it to not be an echo chamber for the power plant that I end up choosing.

I will say that you have helped to get me motivated, (clearing blocks of time) to get back rolling on my wagon project. I spent Saturday night fitting the driver's side floor. I'll post the pictures and descriptions when I get some time to download the photos.
    Well, as noted not much thought into it yet, but will follow some of my past decisions. The King Ranch seats are just that, and will only add seat belts to match and not try to drag in a lot of expensive/overpriced accessories regarding the King Ranch theme per sa. I do plan to wire the seats up(have a cousin, master mechanic, specializes in vehicle electronics. He was like, "that's easy stuff there". I,m like, see ya soon:-) They're just seats:-)

Sound proofing; I plan to use and automotive interior adhesive on the floor front to back, seal everything from outside moisture. As we know, the more rubberized material there is on floor, side panels, and top; the better, right?

Side panels on interior; the kits sold online will no longer work for myself since I have done so many modifications. So, with that, I will visit a local appliance store and load up some refrigerator boxes to get the long runs of cardboard. I will use several short/small pieces of cardboard to template the inside rear quarter panels, maybe 18-24" sections. Piece these together with tape, and ensure correct fitment. I will lay this template out on the long sheets of cardboard, and trace out a one piece template. If this still fits correctly, I will trace this piece out on 1/8" plywood. My plan from there is spray adhesive/a thin layer of foam to further insulate/sound barrier, then most likely cover with an outdoor carpet that can be purchased at Lowes/Home Depot(something I have used before and believe it will work well for this project. Color, maybe a medium brown? Follow this same concept for head liner and driver/passenger doors?

The floor, short answer, is over-the-counter, gallon sized, bedliner material. Up front where side tool boxes are, under the seats, this vertical panel is to be painted orange in color to match dash, doors etc. Remaining area, meaning all flat/horizontal surfaces, bed liner. I know there is concern with heat and toxins etc, when applying inside vehicle. I'm past all that research and BS. I plan to roll it with 4" roller once taped off, maybe a second coat, then let it dry/cure until the fumes are no longer. Meaning, I have no plans to drive it down the road immediately after applying the bedliner on the floor. Be a little while before I get the chance to drive it:-) Outdoor carpet on floor, and then my original wood strips on floor, custom length, from back of the back seat to rear hatch/tailgate(what will be my cargo area.

Unside of floor, and inner fender wells; same bedliner material as used inside on the floor. Roll, brush, spray. Whatever it takes to get it on and looking right.

Here is my order for firewall/inside quarter panels and doors: Foil-backed adhesive insulation(I will throw in a side note on application. I have poor luck with this stuff adhering. I have used gasket sealer in the past to patch-fix what was coming loose. The Willys, once I have custom fit my pieces and ensured they fit, I plan roll out a thin coat of bedliner before placing this 'dynomat' material.) (Personally, I'm not sold on a name-brand sound dampener. I look and material made of, thickness, foil backing, and price. These are my decision points.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mofun-Deadene...2&sr=8-14&th=1

And your project, great to hear you are turning wrenches. It takes time, and as you said, block out some time to work on it. Some days I just stare, and spend all my time deciding what I want to do. Some days are spent on the road getting tools, supplies, etc etc. And some days I can show progress(As I have mentioned before, I am very transparent on this build so those following get the detail; Good, Bad, and the Ugly:-) You will get it :-) And I still have the full chassis with Super Hurricane; hint :-) Somebody needs this I know.

Bmorgil,

I'm leaning hard to go with one of your builds. I believe I'll need to revisit the frame to add some boxing to hold up to the torque of one of your builds. It would be well worth the time spent.

JB,

I like your vision of the interior. Simple, but functional. I'm on the fence when it comes to carpet for the rear floor. I like your approach with the idea of laying the wood strips over the carpet. ACC custom auto carpets is right down the road from me, so I will check with them to see how much they would charge to make a carpet for the wagon. Eastwood has some sound deadening material that is rated better than the dynomat, but I will check out the stuff you linked.

jb I like the plan. That should turn out nice and also very functional. I have a good friend who was in the bed liner business. He went through a lot of oxygen. You and gm are going to have to get those "Wagons Circled" when they are done!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    jb I like the plan. That should turn out nice and also very functional. I have a good friend who was in the bed liner business. He went through a lot of oxygen. You and gm are going to have to get those "Wagons Circled" when they are done!
    I hope so. Would be great to meet you guys.

We all got together last year for Jeep's 80th Anniversary in Toledo. We had a great time! Bmorgil is a fantastic host, and makes some excellent grub. With fuel prices still through the roof, I will not make this years event, but will budget for making the journey next year.

I did see where Toledo is having a virtual parade this year. I'll probably do that for this year.

https://www.toledojeepfest.com/jeep-...irtual-parade/
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-29-2022 at 05:47 AM.

It will be very interesting to see the impact fuel is going to have on the fest this year. People come from a long way away, as gm can attest to. I will be there rep-ing the flags men! Its only a short trip for me less than 20 miles round trip. So today that's about $7.50. About what it used to cost to drive to Kentucky and back.

The virtual should be a neat way to see it. Hopefully everyone in the parade will be driving and not watching it on their phone!

A3179444-9A08-44CA-8AB1-AC202CDE5047.jpg27871E5A-7E0F-450B-A276-DF1BDDAB36F2.jpg

I ordered one of these to the garage to take a look at.

Vision Tactical 17 x 10

Thoughts?

Nice match for the rig. They have that industrial military look. Kind of Si-Fi looking! That thing is going to be a monster.