Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Is That A Willys Wagon?? 1956 Willys Project

Well, had a guy come by garage with a pocket full of money today. Said he found out about this rig and had to look me up. Seems he’s been wanting one of these to do the same thing to, he says.

He had nice trailer to haul it on, but sent him home without this junkr

Hard to believe the big money people will offer for stuff like this. He was well aware of what I already had in it, expense wise; had to appreciate him on that.

No pics lately, not much garage time. Back at it though, today, then gone for 4 days I guess. Wife said i need to make a house payment??

You'll find that.

What people don't realize is that once you're done with it - there is more invested in it than money. They are surprised that their money can't buy the vision, sweat and soul you've put into the job.

Some folks act kind of offended when you turn them down. And, I would be kind of offended if someone just showed up with a trailer and expected me to sell it on the spot - no real conversation to make him think I was interested...

Harumph!

You are spot on about being a little offended…
    There is one little detail you left out LarrBeard, you forgot to mention the the “blood loss” through the whole project it is Priceless!!

You never know what someone will give you. I have watched some pretty outrageous prices during the Barrett-Jackson auctions. You never know, if someone offered up enough you might sell your blood!

You never know, if someone offered up enough you might sell your blood!

Sell my blood - I've donated a bunch of it..

Sell my kids or Grandkids .. On the right day ???

Sell my Truck .. NO WAY!

That's how I feel about ever giving up my 2A. There is no amount of money that would tempt me to part with it. The wagon, maybe.

Well, shop’s closed for 4 days. Out making that house payment

But, I got a little time in yesterday afternoon. Focused on steering. Steering wheel to gear box.

Just to keep it transparent; the struggles are real in my garage as well. 1) notched the crossmember/restitched it 2) steering wheel adapter was a ‘flaw’; meaning of the 9 holes to mount steering wheel to steering wheel adapter, only one screw threaded all the way in to secure steering wheel. I will call and get another steering wheel adapter headed my way.

8698793E-BFC8-4CEC-B63D-79F6318A5821.jpg763E7BD0-42DA-4A3B-AAEB-9BCFCB914937.jpg8A5247FE-3738-4EC4-8941-BEC0F021BA71.jpg
    Last edited by jbrewington; 02-19-2022 at 08:15 PM.

The steering is one of those things that are super important to get right and difficult to do get done correctly. Looking good jb!

OMG Jb it gives me nightmares watching you do your steering linkage. It took me a long time to get mine figured out (maybe 3-4 beers and a couple Winstons sitting on a bucket for a couple nights straight) without putting 3-4 u joints or pillar blocks in it to get it from the end of the column to the box, I finally cut a notch out of the motor mount and welded a piece of pipe back in it to give it a little strength back and only ended up using 2 u joints.
    I even had to find some block hugger headers for the Buick V6 so the steering wouldn't get in the way.
    You did a Great Job on yours!!!

IMG_0665.jpgIMG_0666.jpgIMG_1696.jpgIMG_0129.jpgIMG_0130.jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 02-20-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    OMG Jb it gives me nightmares watching you do your steering linkage. It took me a long time to get mine figured out (maybe 3-4 beers and a couple Winstons sitting on a bucket for a couple nights straight) without putting 3-4 u joints or pillar blocks in it to get it from the end of the column to the box, I finally cut a notch out of the motor mount and welded a piece of pipe back in it to give it a little strength back and only ended up using 2 u joints.
    I even had to find some block hugger headers for the Buick V6 so the steering wouldn't get in the way.
    You did a Great Job on yours!!!

IMG_0665.jpgIMG_0666.jpgIMG_1696.jpgIMG_0129.jpgIMG_0130.jpg
    I know what you mean. I was like, believe I will put the seats in today. But had no steering wheel. No steering column. So here the debacle started. Steering column, well it appears I needed to make the Steering column happy with the clutch/brake pedal assembly, and then, I would know where to center drivers seat, right?

Then when I seen how much steering linkage cost, I considered a Go-Fund-Me account. GEEZZZ But I got it done. About 1400.00 from new Steering Gear Box to Horn Button. Add it up(shaking my head....)

Horn Button 55.00
    Steering Wheel 175.00
    Steering Column 300.00
    Steering Column Mounts 110.00
    Steering uJoints/DD rod 465.00
    Steering Gear Box 300.00

Stuff adds up. Should be just short of a million dollars by the time I get this thing rolling.