Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Is That A Willys Wagon?? 1956 Willys Project

Well, replacing the window seals in door glass is nothing less than exciting!! Ready to sale this thing to highest bid.

9C0D4F4A-CB3D-4C1D-A946-FC34834DB401.jpg8B648B93-9211-495B-9C8F-0EA5DB8F4CE8.jpg

You are definitely on the home stretch now. Hold out for stupid money.... your workmanship is well worth it. Just look at what Dodge Power Wagons are selling for through Legacy Classic trucks.

https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/...onversion.html

Yes
    I’m with gm hold out jb, you’ve worked to hard, to long and have put to much thought into the Orange Masterpiece to walk away now.
    TRUST me I know it gets Frustrating…. But after you get it to where she starts, moves, and stops you’ll pat yourself on the back and be Proud of what you set your mind too and accomplished!!!!!
    It Looks Great Buddy!!!

If you think window seals are exciting, try finding someone who can still do a "rope set" to set a two piece windshield. I had to reset mine to fix leaks and it took four pieces of glass get two in without breaking. I had to find a company with "a real old guy" who knew how to rope set glass.

The glass company said that it takes three people to do it; "One inside, one outside and the secretary to keep track of who needs to pull next".

This makes it seem sooo easy ...

https://blog.steelerubber.com/how-to...k-window-glass

But it isn't!
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 01-21-2023 at 08:55 AM.

True story Larry, a real pain in he butt! I have held grunt level positions in the "Rope Seal Installers Gang".

Those window vents can be impossible jb. Even on the "newer" 1970's era cars, that design was a bitch. I never had any replacement pieces that fit like the original. Every time they needed a little TLC.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-21-2023 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    If you think window seals are exciting, try finding someone who can still do a "rope set" to set a two piece windshield. I had to reset mine to fix leaks and it took four pieces of glass get two in without breaking. I had to find a company with "a real old guy" who knew how to rope set glass.

The glass company said that it takes three people to do it; "One inside, one outside and the secretary to keep track of who needs to pull next".

This makes it seem sooo easy ...

https://blog.steelerubber.com/how-to...k-window-glass

But it isn't!
    Well, I just put the windshield in this evening. WOW!!! Just in general, glass install on these wagons is a true pain in the A$$. I will post a pic.

It was rough!!

4FF2AF83-29DE-4DF6-9F52-88D662E333C5.jpg
    Last edited by jbrewington; 01-21-2023 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Yes
    I’m with gm hold out jb, you’ve worked to hard, to long and have put to much thought into the Orange Masterpiece to walk away now.
    TRUST me I know it gets Frustrating…. But after you get it to where she starts, moves, and stops you’ll pat yourself on the back and be Proud of what you set your mind too and accomplished!!!!!
    It Looks Great Buddy!!!
    Well I was just venting/talking smack, when I mentioned it was for sale. But you're right, it would take much more than anyone could image for me to sale this thing:-) To much work to hand it over.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    True story Larry, a real pain in he butt! I have held grunt level positions in the "Rope Seal Installers Gang".

Those window vents can be impossible jb. Even on the "newer" 1970's era cars, that design was a bitch. I never had any replacement pieces that fit like the original. Every time they needed a little TLC.
    Vent windows; they suck. 100%!!!!! I took everything out of the doors, sandblasted, paint, greased, replaced. That included pulling the vent window frames apart, new seals, rivet frame back together and then reinstalling. Man!!! And this is not the first time I have done this; but pretty sure it is my LAST. Just the time involved, WOW. I am deep deep in hours to install. Can't image paying someone by the hour to do all this.

Also, I have put a new thread up on how to install sliding glass, over in the "How To" section. Looking for some pics of windows installed. Pics of inside and out. How windows sit in the rubber etc.

Any help here is deeply appreciated.

On top of the struggle with the seals, you are trying very hard not to scratch something.

A lot of little things that take a lot of time jb. It it sure makes you aware of why you have to pay someone dearly if you can't do it yourself.